News Samsung Launches 990 Pro Series PCIe 4.0 SSDs With up to 7,450 MB/s

Makaveli

Splendid
Hmm but it is direct storage optimized?

Don't think i'm going to be buying any new ones until that is the case. And secondly No PCIe 5.0 isn't that big of a deal since there really isn't any improvement on Random I/O which is where you will feel the difference most on windows. If all you do are sequential file transfers and have two of the same drives on both ends meh!

dehjomz

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Samsung used to be the unquestioned leader, but it seems in recent years competitors have caught up, and that Samsung is slowly falling behind.

Jul 20, 2022
I am happy that the 980's have been aggressively priced. I believe in letting the tech mature on the PCIe 5 controllers. The 4's are very fast and can be had for a great bargain. That said, as PCIe 5.0 motherboards become big sellers, that will be the best time to migrate over.

Reactions: Makaveli

Makaveli

Splendid
I am happy that the 980's have been aggressively priced. I believe in letting the tech mature on the PCIe 5 controllers. The 4's are very fast and can be had for a great bargain. That said, as PCIe 5.0 motherboards become big sellers, that will be the best time to migrate over.

100% it will be the same as when PCie 4.0 drives launched a year later the controllers and drives will be better.

parkerthon

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
So this is why the 980s had that crazy Prime Day sale and other retailers followed suit. I would wait for PCIe 5.0 if I was doing a new build though.
If 4.0 is any indication, we’ll be waiting a while. There’s that whole economies of scale supply chain thing that has to build up along with making the chips affordable that go on the v5 ssds. It’ll be like the ddr4 vs 5 debacle but at least the slots won’t change and will still be backwards compatible. I’m betting a couple years minimum till it makes sense to jump in.

AgentBirdnest

Respectable
Jun 8, 2022
Eagerly awaiting the review for this! I'm not necessarily planning on buying one, but I'm very curious just how much of a difference it will be from 980 Pro.

I thought the headline "Samsung launches 990 Pro" meant... uh... that it launched? Doesn't a launch usually indicate that the product is available? But availability isn't until October.

mtrantalainen

Commendable
Feb 9, 2022
Samsung used to be the unquestioned leader, but it seems in recent years competitors have caught up, and that Samsung is slowly falling behind.

I agree. Samsung 970 Pro was a very good product, albeit quite expensive. I hope this 990 Pro would actually match the 970 Pro unlike the 980 series. (Looking at random 4K read performance with shallow queue depth, especially QD1 and QD2...)

Matt_ogu812

Honorable
Jul 14, 2017

kiniku

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Hmm but it is direct storage optimized?

Don't think i'm going to be buying any new ones until that is the case. And secondly No PCIe 5.0 isn't that big of a deal since there really isn't any improvement on Random I/O which is where you will feel the difference most on windows. If all you do are sequential file transfers and have two of the same drives on both ends meh!
Yes.

D

Deleted member 2783327

Question: Samsung uses its own drivers for the NVMe drives, right?
The Windows drivers have been said to be terrible.
Are there any other brands that include their own drivers so one does not have to rely on the Windows NVMe drivers?