Samsung Launches Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]amuffin[/nom]Is it just me or am I the only guy expecting Apple to use lawsuit.app on them?[/citation]
For this? Hardly any reason to. It's light-years ahead of the iPad's design, introduces the stylus for people that will prefer it and has a bunch of other improvements over any tablet on the market ATM.
If/when my TF101 breaks down (which I don't foresee, given it's built like a tank), this will be my next purchase. This or Nexus 10, whichever comes around at that time.

" it's hard to imagine consumers wanting to pay laptop prices for a tablet."
People are already paying these prices for a tablet. This just happens to be a high-end one. If too expensive, spring for a mid or low-end one, or get a mid for a low price (Nexus7).

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Once somebody get it, please let me know how good is it as a notebook replacement device. I've been waiting for the tablet since Microsoft came out with the idea. Yes, this is around 2003. Microsoft did not have a good implementation. Apple does not have a good implementation. The Android tablets are good as consumption devices, but not really something I want.

However, this table could be a game changer. It may be a good idea to wait for the next iteration. I want a higher resolution OLED screen. And lets be honest, it will take at least one year for the software to catch up with what the device can do. By that time the Galaxy Note 10.1 2 may be the better investment.

I may not be able to wait though.

subaru41

Feb 6, 2006
Sweet. Another iPad killer.

I might pass on this tablet though, unless my work gives me one. I kind of thinking of going with the Galaxy Note 2 phone for awhile.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Resolution is weak, there's cellphones at 4 inches with resolution comparable to this.

iPad raised the bar for resolution on a ~10 tablet and this doesn't cut it.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
People should read the reviews before claiming this is an iPad killer, lest you make yourselves look foolish.

The verdict is in from several sites - this is not a good tablet. It's slow and laggy, it has cheap build quality and a sub-par screen. This is a POS compared to the iPad. And Samsung has the nerve to charge the same price.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]kronos_cornelius[/nom]Once somebody get it, please let me know how good is it as a notebook replacement device. I've been waiting for the tablet since Microsoft came out with the idea. Yes, this is around 2003. Microsoft did not have a good implementation. Apple does not have a good implementation. The Android tablets are good as consumption devices, but not really something I want. However, this table could be a game changer. It may be a good idea to wait for the next iteration. I want a higher resolution OLED screen. And lets be honest, it will take at least one year for the software to catch up with what the device can do. By that time the Galaxy Note 10.1 2 may be the better investment. I may not be able to wait though.[/citation]
I would NEVER suggest using an android tablet for anything related to document-creation/productivity. General system stability and app stability pretty much entirely removes the option for productivity. I can't even count how many times Polaris Office has crashed on my TF (and I'm running the supplied OTA update OS's). The general productivity suites are half-solutions at best (don't get me started with Polaris Office's horrible spreadsheet program, and the entirely awkward methods they use to input data and functions).

Seriously, if you are looking for a productivity-based tablet, your best bet is to wait out for a windows 8 tablet and hope it fits in your budget. If you're looking for a tablet to replace your notebook, it's going to be your best option. Android is great and all for entertainment devices, but they are a far cry from reliable productivity devices.

Thorfkin

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
You say you can't imagine someone paying $499 amidst all of the $199 tablets available on the market but I think you missed the key reason this tablet is worth the money. To my knowledge this is the only full sized tablet that officially supports use as a cell phone as well as an internet connected device. It's true that other devices on the market can use Google Talk to emulate cell phone functionality over the data network and some other tablets have the technical ability to operate as a cell phone if you put in a cell activated sim card in but as far as I know only the Galaxy Note 10.1 officially support standard cell network calling without modification. Throw in a decent Bluetooth headset and you can go from carrying two devices around with you to just one.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]Thorfkin[/nom]You say you can't imagine someone paying $499 amidst all of the $199 tablets available on the market but I think you missed the key reason this tablet is worth the money. To my knowledge this is the only full sized tablet that officially supports use as a cell phone as well as an internet connected device. It's true that other devices on the market can use Google Talk to emulate cell phone functionality over the data network and some other tablets have the technical ability to operate as a cell phone if you put in a cell activated sim card in but as far as I know only the Galaxy Note 10.1 officially support standard cell network calling without modification. Throw in a decent Bluetooth headset and you can go from carrying two devices around with you to just one.[/citation]

The Note tablet does not have cell phone capabilities. See here: http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/260914/samsung_launches_galaxy_note_tablet.html

[citation][nom]PCWorld[/nom]Although named after the company's large S-Pen-based smartphone, Galaxy Note, the Samsung Note 10.1 has twice the screen size of the first Galaxy Note. Unlike the Galaxy Note, however, the Galaxy Note 10.1 does not have phone capabilities.[/citation]

LordConrad

Distinguished
[citation][nom]seanhallam[/nom]Wow, 2 gigs of RAM on a tablet. Nice job Samsung![/citation]
To bad they screwed it with the screen resolution, this would have been an awesome tablet at 1920x1200. Of course then they would've had to include a faster SOC also.

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]Resolution is weak, there's cellphones at 4 inches with resolution comparable to this.iPad raised the bar for resolution on a ~10 tablet and this doesn't cut it.[/citation]
Resolution is overated. In a 4 inch screen, you don't need hi-res. My SGS2 "only" 800 x 480...i don't see any problem or pixelly graphics. Retina display in a small screen is just another gimmick to troll iFools(tm).

jwcalla

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
[citation][nom]LordConrad[/nom]To bad they screwed it with the screen resolution, this would have been an awesome tablet at 1920x1200. Of course then they would've had to include a faster SOC also.[/citation]

The high-res screen will be for their next Galaxy Tab release which should have the Exynos 5 SoC. This Note is focused more on the S-Pen / writing capabilities and that's the audience they're targeting.

The Notes and Tabs are separate product lines for different functions.

Apparently most of the tech reviewers on teh Internets don't realize this simple distinction.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I currently do a lot of art on a Motion Computing LE1700. I love doing digital art. The thing only has 45 minutes of battery life left in it though. I can't wait to get one of these Galaxy Note 10.1 devices. I'm really looking forward to that 8 hours of battery life. The screen resolution isn't as good as my LE1700, unfortunately, but hopefully the display won't have such terrible viewing angles.

I've been trying to order one of these things since yesterday. Come on Newegg or Amazon! I want to buy one! I'll even overnight it to try and get it before the weekend. Doesn't look like it's going to happen though.

[citation][nom]house70[/nom]For this? Hardly any reason to. It's light-years ahead of the iPad's design, introduces the stylus for people that will prefer it.[/citation]

There's been many stylus for sale in the third party accessory market for pretty much any device.

quotas47

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Finally a tablet that has everything you could want in it. Everyone can hold their complaints about this device until they release 4.1JB for it, and then re-evaluate. With a 1.4 and that much RAM, this device would fly on 4.1.

G

I am amazed how technically ignorant some people are:

Get a 3rd Party (capacitive) stylus is NOT the same as an Active Pen Digitizer!!

And you can immediately tell who among commenters and commentators/reviewers actually WORK FOR A LIVING or those who just push "consumer electronic toys". The ability to hardwrite notes, equations, annotations, graphics, charts, etc. is HUGE!! How many meetings a day do you have to take notes, get organized, work on PowerPoint presentations on the fly? Ever see how people look at the weird guy/gal who pulls a notebook into a meeting and start "typing" notes? And how exactly do you draw a quick copy of Jim's Sales Forecast in the meeting on your laptop?

Serious, so few of you people look at real work function and process and are just looking for your next video game controller.

Personally there are a few things like USB & HDMI Ports I'd take way before higher resolution right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.