16GB RAM 2400 Dual
i7-7700K
500GB Samsung 960 EVO NVME M.2, PCIE Gen 3x4
Windows 10

CrystaldiskMark 6 results are READ, 3125.8, WRITE, 1555.3 26.57

Start up time is 26.57 seconds, and Reboot is 35.24 seconds

I would think it would start up faster then that
Its been slow boot times ever since I've had it, about a year
Have reinstalled the OS, clean install and factory reinstall. Still slow boot up

Are is this normal? I would think with the Samsung 960 EVO it would take about 8/12 seconds or so
Any input, suggestions or help you can provide, would be greatly appreciated

Thank you for your help and time

Solution
From the point at which the spinning dots appear, how long until the desktop is displayed?

Is most of that time before the spinning dots?

My X299 MSI XPower Gaming AC takes 30 seconds to boot up. That is mostly POST time. Once the spinning dots appear it's 4 seconds to desktop. (I have 2 M.2 SSDS, a SATA SSD, A Spinner HDD and 3 Optical Drives).

USB and number of connected devices will slow down boot time. The relevance of the spinning dots is that's when Windows is loading and the SSD is being read.

Setting the BIOS to Fast Boot may help marginally, but a lot of laptops have cut down BIOSs that don't support such features.

Tanyac

Reputable
From the point at which the spinning dots appear, how long until the desktop is displayed?

Is most of that time before the spinning dots?

My X299 MSI XPower Gaming AC takes 30 seconds to boot up. That is mostly POST time. Once the spinning dots appear it's 4 seconds to desktop. (I have 2 M.2 SSDS, a SATA SSD, A Spinner HDD and 3 Optical Drives).

USB and number of connected devices will slow down boot time. The relevance of the spinning dots is that's when Windows is loading and the SSD is being read.

Setting the BIOS to Fast Boot may help marginally, but a lot of laptops have cut down BIOSs that don't support such features.

Solution

corb345

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016

Thank you for your help and time!
Ill do I more thoroughly check on what you suggest. But I quick check late last night and no spinning dots at all on start up, but on reboot it's about 8 seconds after spinning dots start. But that was counting on my head.
I do have several things attached via USB.
I'll try disconnecting stuff and time it again.
Thanks a lot for the knowledge!

BadAsAl

Distinguished
There are settings in the BIOS that will help decrease speed, some have fast boot settings etc.
But really, you are only talking bragging rights here... less than 30 seconds to a usable PC is awesome. Your read/writes in Windows are where they should be.

corb345

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016

OK, thank you. Your right. I've been on some that take forever.

I had an Alienware a few years back and it would boot up in like 8 seconds. Guess I always look for and compair to that.
I just wanted to make sure nothing was wrong with it and I got my money's worth.
Which I know I way over paid but it's what I wanted at the time.
Im getting an HP ZBook 15v G5 in soon. Wonder how that will compare. Lower end specs but, we'll see.

Thank you for you help and time.

Tanyac

Reputable
My Acer Aspire Laptop circa 2018 took 4 minutes to boot up Windows 10 from a Mechanical 5400 RPM 1TB drove. Drive me nuts in one boot so I added a 960 EVO 250 GB. Cut boot time down to 6 seconds.

The MSI Z370 SLI Plus motherboards (All running I5-8600K's) take 19 seconds from power on to usable desktop. Damn HEDT chipsets always seem to be so slow in comparison...

Latest posts