Samsung Magician with USB to SATA cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ludwick32

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016
I have a Samsung 840 EVO installed in my laptop and another Samsung 850 PRO that I connected as an external drive with this USB to SATA cable.

The internal drive is all right. Even the external drive is recognised and operable through the OS (Windows 7). However, the Samsung Magician software only seems to recognise the internal drive as a Samsung Brand SSD (see screenshots below). Using the 850 PRO also as internal drive solves the problem, but I don't always want to install an OS on it. And my laptop only has room for one HD.

Has anyone managed to connect a Samsung SSD via USB and have the Magician software recognise it as a Samsung Brand SSD? Otherwise, how can I run "Performance Optimisation", "Firmware Update" or "Secure Erase" on the extrenal drive?

Internal drive (840 EVO) recognised as Samsung Brand SSD:
5uls7b.png

External drive (850 PRO) not recognised as Samsung Brand SSD:
kdu80m.png

Reactions: kangaru
Hey there, Ludwick32.

Well, I'm not sure about the software's features and if it's possible to do that at all while having the SSD connected via an external enclosure, SATA to USB adapter, or a dock station. Perhaps you should get in touch with the manufacturer's customer support and ask about that.

What I wanted to say is that if your laptop has an OD (Optical Drive) you should be able to change it with an SSD/HDD caddy and use both of your SSDs as internal drives. So if this is the case, it's worth the try.

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD

Ludwick32

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016

I feared so. But do you have this information from an official source?
Any suggestion on how to accomplish the "Performance Optimisation", "Firmware Update" or "Secure Erase" tasks without connecting the drive internally?

Jun 24, 2021
On other forums they say that if you use a Thunderbolt enclosure connected to TB port it will work. Anyone tested or can assure it works?
In case it works, any product recommendation from Amazon/AliExpress?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS