[SOLVED] Samsung Magician won’t recognize my SSD

techflame700

Commendable
Nov 30, 2018
I have a Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB and Samsung Magician won’t recognize it. The only thing that works in Magician is the performance test everything else is static or says “not supported”. I have tried to install the Samsung NVMe driver but the install fails with the message: “Please make sure the device is connected.” I have tried to update the Microsoft driver but it is up to date. What should I do? Thanks!

SSD: Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270XP SLI

Solution
The Samsung support page says to use the Magician software on the CD included in the SSD's retail package. It also says the Magician software needs access to the internet to authenticate the SSD. You could try contacting Samsung Customer Support by email and they can check the serial number.

* How do I verify that my product is genuine?
You can verify whether the Samsung SSD product you have purchased is genuine by using the Magician software included on the CD. If the product is genuine, "Genuine" will be displayed next to the serial number on the Magician main screen. If it is not genuine, "Not Genuine" will be displayed.

* Samsung Magician failed to authenticate my SSD. What should I do?...
Are you certain the drive is not counterfeit? Run CrystalDiskInfo to see if it identifies your drive and gives a product Serial Number.

yuXTFAQefMgyg2aTAEzoNL8jRJFESwDr.jpg

techflame700

Commendable
Nov 30, 2018
Are you certain the drive is not counterfeit? Run CrystalDiskInfo to see if it identifies your drive and gives a product Serial Number.

yuXTFAQefMgyg2aTAEzoNL8jRJFESwDr.jpg
I loaded CrystalDiskInfo and it is reporting some SMART data where Magician didn’t and it is also reporting my serial number. Where do I put in my serial number to confirm it’s authenticity? Not sure if this matters but it is preforming as expected.

The Samsung support page says to use the Magician software on the CD included in the SSD's retail package. It also says the Magician software needs access to the internet to authenticate the SSD. You could try contacting Samsung Customer Support by email and they can check the serial number.

You can verify whether the Samsung SSD product you have purchased is genuine by using the Magician software included on the CD. If the product is genuine, "Genuine" will be displayed next to the serial number on the Magician main screen. If it is not genuine, "Not Genuine" will be displayed.

* Samsung Magician failed to authenticate my SSD. What should I do?
Please check the status of your internet connection and try again after rebooting your PC. Samsung Magician needs access to the internet to authenticate the SSD as a Samsung SSD. If the problem persists, please contact a Samsung-authorized service center.

Solution

techflame700

Commendable
Nov 30, 2018

* Samsung Magician failed to authenticate my SSD. What should I do?
Please check the status of your internet connection and try again after rebooting your PC. Samsung Magician needs access to the internet to authenticate the SSD as a Samsung SSD. If the problem persists, please contact a Samsung-authorized service center.
I guess I’m going to have to contact support then. Thanks for your help!

ionutnedelcu

Reputable
Oct 5, 2018
I've been having a similar issue as you for the past 2 days.

Samsung Magician was not picking up my 860 EVO. After a few good hours of trying to install drivers and deleting volumes and formatting the drive, I managed to get it going by going into "storage spaces" in windows, deleting the storage pool and creating a new volume with disk management. once I did that, I re-scanned the drives with Samsung Magician and it worked.

I hope it helps with your situation.

Reactions: zalsonix