Samsung Mass Producing 10nm-Class SAS Solid State Disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I understand "Solid State Disk" is used by some instead of "Solid State Drive", but I'll tell you the truth, it makes me think the person has no clue what an SSD is. That's okay if it's my grandmother who is 98 and never even touched a computer, but I have trouble accepting the phrase on a computer hardware site. :)

I understand "Solid State Disk" is used by some instead of "Solid State Drive", but I'll tell you the truth, it makes me think the person has no clue what an SSD is. That's okay if it's my grandmother who is 98 and never even touched a computer, but I have trouble accepting the phrase on a computer hardware site. :)

It didn't show a picture but obviously the SSD is disc shaped as opposed to rectangular

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Hmm, 10 nm ssd

Company buys one

Company calls support because the drive ran through its write cycles while installing windows server

Drive is returned for a refund

Someone at Samsung then cries about how the market doesn't like unreliable SSD's for some reason.

"According to Samsung, the new SM1623 has an 800 GB density and provides sequential read speeds up to 950 MB/s and write speeds up to 520 MB/s. The drive also has random read speeds of up to 120,000 IOPS and random write speeds up to 26,000 IOPs.

As a comparison, the older SM1625 has densities of 100 GB, 200 GB, 400 GB and 800 GB. The drive also has sequential read speeds up to 925 MB/s and sequential write speeds up to 595 MB/s. The drive even provides random speeds up to 101,000 IOPS and random write speeds up to 38,000 IOPS."

If I read correctly, the SM1623 lowers write speeds (MB/s and IOPS) and only slightly increases read speeds. Why would I want this drive?

I'd much rather have 20nm than 10nm for the higher write-endurance factor. If these are coming with a SAS interface, you would think it's meant for enterprise systems. There I'm concerned more with write-endurance and reliability.

I just don't see the benefit of this drive, other than Samsung to say "Look - we have two SSDs with SAS interfaces!"

Status
Not open for further replies.