Samsung Mass Producing 128GB Chips for Tablets, Phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
... for the love of all the is holy... please be in the next generation phones O.O Now all they need is a battery to match viewing even a quarter of the content that those can store :)

frombehind

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
These prolly cost like 40 bucks to make...
Watch apple mark these up sending their next-gen iDevices into the thousand dollar range.

Then again, since samsung's fabs gave apple the finger recently... maybe we WONT be seeing iDevices with 128Gb capacity anytime soon ^^

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
if these were cheap, i would like them in desktop for small, mass file storage.

speeds as good as a hdd, and even my thumb drives have faster seak times than my hdd so i cant see these being worse

didgetmaster

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
So if Apple continues its practice of charging an extra $100 for every 16GB memory upgrade in its products, then iPhones with this chip will cost an extra....$700???

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]rebel1280[/nom]Now all they need is a battery to match viewing even a quarter of the content that those can store[/citation]
Reducing the CPU/GPU power would also help. Holding a 750mW SoC chip in your hand crammed in a phone/tablet can get somewhat uncomfortably warm under load.

G

Now if only Apple will put this in the next iPod Touch. My iPod Touch has been full for 2 years and there are no viable alternatives (other than the iPod Classic which I also own, but it's an outdated piece of crap).

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]Mat686868[/nom]Now if only Apple will put this in the next iPod Touch. My iPod Touch has been full for 2 years and there are no viable alternatives (other than the iPod Classic which I also own, but it's an outdated piece of crap).[/citation]

You mean there is no alternative with an Apple logo on it ?
Yeah, that seems to be true.

Otherwise...

G

Mat, what about a galaxy player, I think it comes with up to 64GB and a micro SD slot

G

Would these chips also find their way into SSD's? Performance doesn't seem great, but if I understand correctly SSD chips aren't that fast individually, but get their speed from the combination of chips?

I have a 265GB Vertex 4, which is made of sixteen 16GB chips. Same configuration from these chips would mean a 2TB SSD.

Goodbye mechanical drives forever. Can you believe we still use hard drives that have moving parts in 2012?

If mass produced, the price point will probably be very reasonable. Looking forward to the future.

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]matthelm[/nom]Since when are HD video files only 8GB. All of mine are 20GB+[/citation]
considering most dvd movies are 8GB and bluray is the 8track of the 70's

not that many people have 20GB video unless it's home made and not many people are fit wink wink enough for more than 2 hours of home made video.

those must be some videos or have lots of people in them to keep going longer than most dvd's movie companies are able to fill

tivatar

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
It would be great to see some of these pop up as integrated features on motherboards. Having something like that could make for some small designs, lower power requirements, and fewer components. Having a dedicated drive for the OS would also leave an extra drive (or array) open for performance. If an add-on drive is being used, the integrated could be used like the new non-volatile RAM, a type of cache, or just an extra drive.

All assuming it has reasonable costs < $1/GB.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Wozza365[/nom]Mat, what about a galaxy player, I think it comes with up to 64GB and a micro SD slot[/citation]
galaxy player may have good storage, but its a very big turd compared to the ipod. and this is coming from someone that hates apple. samsung needs to refresh their samsung player lineup to at least try to compete because ipod is dominating without any resistance in that area. 128gb chips in a phone or a revamped galaxy player would be amazing.

G

I was thinking about a player or 4” minicomputer with 1TB in it, let’s say within two years..

Status
Not open for further replies.