Samsung May Be Adding Kill Switch for Stolen Smartphones

Status
Not open for further replies.

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
Really bad road to go down.

Want to cut off service for a 'stolen' phone sure no problem. But giving them a way to brick a device, makes it way too easy to screw people. From hackers to government, to fake theft reports etc. Its just a bad bad road to go down.

chuckchurch

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2005
Wouldn't all the current stolen phones end up as being sold for parts anyway? I can't imagine a Verizon store is going to activate a Verizon phone when it shows up in the DB as stolen. Or do they electronically change the IEMI?

sonofliberty08

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Manufacturer: is time to make more cash (press the button)
End user: my phone is dead, got to buy a new one......

Government: this fellow are spreading comments against the government, kill him! (press the button)

__-_-_-__

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
this is stupid. if a killswitch solution was feasible it was already implemented in notebooks many years ago. all the previous attempts failed. If you invent a killswitch method it is certain that hackers will find a workaround.
also there's already a killswitch method used by carriers. it blocks the imei and it can't be used on nationwide networks. but even this method can be worthless if someone changes (illegally) but easily the smarthpone imei.
also even if it was technologically possible (it isn't) the thefts would still continue because parts can be used. only the soc would be unusable. but all the modules would work flawless like, screen, digitalizer, case, battery, shell, camera, antennas, memory card etc.
so good luck with that but it won't work.

daekar

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Because of course it's fair to hold phone companies responsible for other people's illegal actions with the threat of legal action if they don't do as they're told and put in a brick-me-now button on the mobile devices on which everyone relies. Tinfoil hat or not, it's awfully convenient. After all of the proof that nobody can be trusted to abstain from using illegal access to vital technology, how can people not recognize the danger here? In a state where you can be termed a terrorist for anything at all and promptly lose every right you have as a citizen, how can this kind of power be acceptable in the hands of ANY company or government?

Edit: If I were a hacker or other peddler of malicious code, I would be jumping for joy at this news. You can't get much better an opportunity than remote-bricking masses of phones with the click of a button, so to speak. Talk about creating vulnerability by over-centralization...

bikeordie1

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
I would think a more 'un-hackable' approach to ruining a smartphone would be to remotely trigger the soft/firmware to overheat the phone without any safeguards and with all physical buttons turned off. Just click and know that your phone is melting the Soc into nothingness while the thief is running his hand under cold water.

funguseater

Distinguished
It is easy to accidentally brick your device when flashing a new bootloader, all Samsung has to do is have a second rom chip that loads a faulty bootloader/rom. Instant paperweight. And useless for most thieves, It takes skill and ability to recover a bricked device (if even possible), something most thieves dont have, they just want quick $$$

Johmama

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
The last thing I want is the government having a killswitch for my phone.

And I'm not saying "Big government is out to get me!", I don't care who has it, I don't want anyone to have a killswitch for my phone. People need to take care of their phones. I take excellent care of my phone, but I'm also running an anti-theft/lost phone app that can do almost everything on the phone remotely. Just don't leave your phone lying around. Treat that phone like it's a stack of cash worth it's value. I shouldn't have to pay for irresponsible people's behaviors.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
This is a terrible idea... What if someone loses the phone, but the person who finds it tries to return it?

I don't have a good feeling about it, and something tells me this won't solve anything

sharedude

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013
I can read the headlines now...
"MILLIONS OF BOMBS GO OFF AROUND THE WORLD!"
"Cyber terrorists hack samsung servers, activating the self destruct features on all samsung smart phones. A DOD spokesperson said earlier they are preparing to invade South Korea for harboring terrorists."
:D

InvalidError

Titan

Since nearly every major component/assembly has a microcontroller on-board, every assembly and subsystem could have its own set of kill-switches with attached behavior.

You could even have a setup where all microcontrollers authenticate each-other at boot time to verify that all components are factory-authorized to work together so repair shops cannot use stolen parts. This makes most of the separable components worthless even as spare parts.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Ok, Samsung news, but not a word written about the huge array of products released at E3 like the W8/Android tablet Q, is it because Tom's hates Microsoft? So far off the pace this site is a joke

Status
Not open for further replies.