Samsung May Launch Tizen Smartphone in 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

halcyon

Splendid
Interesting. I know there's a market for low-to-mid range products out there. This may appeal to someone...somewhere that can't afford an Android device with its established quality and ecosystem.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Well, the only other companies left in the world that can have even a small chance of succeeding with a new mobile OS is Intel and Samsung so it'll be fun to watch how it evolves.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
@halcyon. Erm, why would an Android device cost more than a Tizen device? There are plenty of low-to-mid-range Android devices out there - plenty!
If anything Android devices might be cheaper as the manufacturer can expect to shift more than an untested OS. If two phones came out with the same spec one on Tizen and one with Android at about the same price, I'm going with the Android. That's not to say when Tizen get's established and starts gaining a decent reputation - I won't consider it, but not until then.

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012

+1
He made it sound like Android was somehow exclusive to high-end mobile devices..

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]so, anyone remember Baba OS?[/citation]
Yeah, Samsung stopped Bada and teamed up with Intel and made Tizen. Many of the source codes from Samsung's Bada was implemented into Tizen.

Currently, Android is a orgy fest since phone makers have to pay royalties to not only Google, but Microsoft and many other companies for using Android OS. The only way a new OS can succeed in this market is if it is completely open-sourced for the dev community without the hassle of paying multiple royalties to companies but that might sound far-fetched. Then again, since both Sammy and Intel are hardware companies, they might just let Tizen go loose and watch it grow and release big hardware phones/laptops/tablets without the hassle of paying software companies a % of their hardware sales.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]so, anyone remember Baba OS?[/citation]

I do. Bought my mom a few years back a touch Samsung Bada phone, piece of garbage of an OS,
Samsung cannot make an OS. It feels threaten as it should with Google now making hardware to compete against it all while be the software vendor for its OS. Samsung is in bad long term waters when it comes to the OS for its phone in terms of risk assessment. Very little control over what can power it's phones since Google has all the chips and they have a really terrible past making OSs

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Samsung makes crappy software and UI... not seeing this a good thing. Android made Samsung rich. And Google bought Motorola to help protect Android... as Motorola Phones are not high on most peoples list... (I love mine thou)

Status
Not open for further replies.