Samsung May Reveal Curved "Galaxy Round" Smartphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevilence

Distinguished
May 8, 2012
I think the development of this kind of tech is smart and furute products will be very cool. However this phone sounds pointless, I cant see why I would want a curved screen on my phone. On wearable tech, sure, on a phone, WTF?

vinhn

Honorable
Jun 15, 2013
Yeah, don't really get why one would need a curve phone. For better on ear placement? Anyway, it is still good to see we are inspiring for new ideas.

Shankovich

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Must have been hell for the engineering team in charge for the PCB layouts (I'm guessing they used multiple ones since you can't curve chips...yet). If the phone will be as curved as that picture, that'd be awesome!

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
@AppleGoingDown:

You know nothing about computer architecture (hardware & software) if you think just because a Samsung smartphone has more ram that it will run circles around an iPhone.

Optimization of operating system to hardware is unmatched with Apple products because they fully create both ends and can optimize that not Android or Windows phone can. So they don't need more RAM to achieve the same or better results.

There operating system is set to run on very specific hardware which has its downsides but for a pure performance standout is unmatched. I can get into a lot more detail, but having more ram, or a bit faster CPU or graphics won't mean it will actually achieve better results.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Marketshare is not the only metric in business. And you clearly don't understand business.

Should Mercedes and BMW stop making cars because GM has more marketshare? Should Gucci and Prada stop making clothes because Gap has more marketshare?

Marketshare is skewed because it takes all phones, dumb and smartphones. And what's the margins on most of the cheap/crappy iPhones sold in India/China/Brazil/Russia? Those millions sold in those countries aren't the flagship Android phones but crap like Ace 3 and worse.

Look at margins, profit, increase in profit.
There's a reason why Apple's marketcap is larger than all the Android vendors put together, even with some of them not having smartphones as their core revenue generator.

ie. Apple's marketcap is bigger than (Samsung + HTC + LG + Sony + ...)

Your point about it still having "more ram" than Apple shows you know nothing about computer architecture.

Also, funny how you're saying Apple is copying Google with Android, when Android was a complete copy of iOS.

Number 1 phone is debatable, I can make a case for millions of people iPhone 5S is the absolutely best phone. And I can make the case that the S4 or Note 3 is the best phone for others.

Shankovich

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
@ AppleGoingDown screw off you retarded troll, wow. Something tells me you're actually not a troll and are just so biased it hurts though. The amount of ram doesn't affect speed, its clock rate does. 1 MB of DDR3-1866 would be faster than 8 GB of DDR3-1600. If you're going to argue on a tech site, at least know a thing or two -_-

Shankovich

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
@ AppleGoingDown screw off you retarded troll, wow. Something tells me you're actually not a troll and are just so biased it hurts though. The amount of ram doesn't affect speed, its clock rate does. 1 MB of DDR3-1866 would be faster than 8 GB of DDR3-1600. If you're going to argue on a tech site, at least know a thing or two -_-

Da_Man

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Meh... Samsung is the enemy now... especially with their forced Region Lock on Unlocked Phone...

What the points buying unlocked phone when you cant use another sim card in another country...which many has done so, especially when traveling... using local sim card is cheaper than using their home sim card (roaming charge)

and samsung will bring this region lock not just to new phone but to Galaxy S III, S4, Note II, and S4 Mini as well using OTA Updates...

Shame Toms don't have article about this.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
Looks like it's been in the sun too long and it curved. I do understand that Samsung was trying to show off the flexibility of AMOLED screen but this is not the way to do it.

nevilence

Distinguished
May 8, 2012

haha, someone in the design team left their none curved version on the dash of the car on a hot day, came back and claimed the melted remains as his genius.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
@AppleGoingDown

- performance on SD cards are trash compared to flash memory, Apple has standards in which data is to be access on their device. Having super slow and crappy 3rd party SD cards people put in are part of the reason why they don't want to bother with SD Cards

-Android marketshare that you brag about are low-end phones, their highend smartphones have numbers that are parallel with Apple's. Apple only makes flagship, premium smartphones, compare Android numbers to Apple's and you'll see the numbers are very close.

- Windows is dominant on laptops and computers. But when you compare pure units sold by the various manufacturers (Sony, Lenovo, Dell, Samsung, Acer, Asus, etc.) the largest manufacturer isn't make more money nor pushing way more units than Apple

- You've made ZERO compelling reasons why you think Apple is lower than Android. I can show you 100 Android phones that are complete ass and don't compare to Apple's offerings. Nor do you even illustrate how Apple is worst than flagship Android phones.

You're the one bringing up marketshare and the business side of things, which us useless to consumers. When I clearly illustrate how dumb your point is, you then shift to say customers don't care about profit, revenue, etc. So why even mention marketshare and the business side of things?

Ok, you want to talk about customers then? Why is the iPhone the number 1 selling electronic product in human history? Why has there been no phone ever on Android to have selling numbers to there Apple competitor? Last time I checked Apple sold 9 million phones on a weekend. From the original iPhone to the iPhone 5S the numbers blow away any single flagship Android phone from Samsung, HTC, Sony, LG, etc.

Android OS, the actually history of it, is a rip-off of iOS. Know your history. Do not list me new features of Android, unless you understand the history of Android, please remain silent.

Android has 64-bit baked in LOL that's your argument? Apple has the first 64-bit CPU in a smartphone, are you even kidding on this. There actual hardware and operating system works for 64-bit, Android is late on this. Please do tell me a commercially available smartphone with the fingerprint scanner.

No Android manufacturer except Samsung is even doing well in the phone market from a profit standpoint. Apparently you know Apple is inflated 2.5X, then put your entire life-savings shorting Apple. Lets see how well you'll do.

P.S. Reasons why an iPhone is better:
- 3 years of product update without having to hack or void warranty
- get updates on 0 day, without having to hack or void warranty
- no carrier or manufacturer bloatware
- less malware
- better build quality
- Apple store, actual place and people to get a phone fixed even after warranty. No B.S. about shipping and paying shipping to get a phone fixed, or going to some "authorized" dealer in some random place
- best customer service in the market
- quick, seamless transition to new device
- more apps, better apps, first to release, first to update on iOS
- iMessage is out of the box, great for international travel
- FaceTime, out of the box, video calling and even voice only (wifi/data, great for travel)
- straight forward synching with Microsoft
- way better resale value

Reasons to choose a flagship Android (S4)
- larger screen
- removable battery
- expandable storage (far slower than flash however)
- more budget friendly (ie. cheaper than equivalent iPhone)
- more customizations

For many, iPhone is perfect, for some Android.

Get a life, they're phones, worst part is you know nothing about what you're saying. From a business, hardware, software and history point of view.

My advice, read and learn.

Da_Man

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
http://blog.clove.co.uk/2013/09/25/samsung-galaxy-note-3-sim-limitations/

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 – SIM limitations

Both of these statements would signify that if you purchase a Note 3 from Clove and activate it within a compatible territory, you can still travel and insert a SIM from a non supported territory without limitation.

We now reiterate that our own experience and that of our customers and colleagues contradicts these statements. As a direct result of what we have learned, we will therefore not be allowing shipments outside of the compatible territories, without the express consent of the customer who we have ensured is aware of the regional lock limitations.

ira176

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
My take on this is purely to make as much profit using the cheapest method or material as possible (not like companies don't do that already). Since plastic isn't as hard as glass it I believe the curve was not so much a "look at this flashy new design" as, it had to be done this way in order to prevent the plastic screen from getting scratched up as easily. Think of it this way, if you set your modern flat glass screen phone face down on anything over a period of time, it is more resilient and likely won't scratch as much or as easily. Now try that with a flat plastic screen phone, and it's obvious, the phone was designed to avoid damaging the screen by keeping the screen from contacting other surfaces, rather than to impress with it's new design.
Also the curved plastic screen phone won't look as nice in your back pocket, and i'm sure it will break that much quicker if you forget it's there and sit on it.

joe nate

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
As much as I don't want to get into this pointless flame war, I will point out one thing:

"Android is based off of Linux. iOS is based off of OS X. What on earth are you talking about?"

OSX is based off Unix and some parts FreeBSD
iOS is based off Darwin OS
Darwin OS is based off BSD
FreeBSD is based off of Unix
BSD is based off Unix.
Android is based off Linux.
Linux is based off Unix.

Therefore both android AND iOS are both distantly related to the same cousin Unix. Everyone inspires everyone. They all implement things differently (and that's why there's different branches of operating systems). When something sells, others try to copy it. Apple does it (and they call it innovation). Makers of Android do it (Samsung, for example,, calls it the next big thing). If you create your product in a vacuum, it most likely will fail if you don't respond to consumer's desires, which including asking "What are my competitors doing right?"

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
@AppleGoingDown

The most pathetic part is you use multiple alias to write your uneducated drivel

You and your stupid marketshare argument. Its multiple Manufacturers in that market, selling completely different products. You can't even comment on the fact that the iPhone is the most popular electronic device ever in human history. Nor do you even understand the implications of marketshare on a fragmented market. You think Samsung selling their smartphones at $700 USD they're not trying to get high margins? LOL you have no clue about the economics of this market What's the markup on the S4 and Note 3 Einstein?

Yes, apple only has 10% of the laptop/computer marketshare, and what do you think Lenovo, Dell, HP, Sony, Asus, Acer, Samsung, etc. each individual marketshare is? Can you please do some research and you'll actually come to learn Apple is actually better than the average PC manufacturer. But then again, facts and basic economics seems to be an after thought in your thinking process.

Amazon sells a tablet at $0 markup, so does that mean when Samsung or Google sells their tablets above $0 you're getting ripped off?
No one wants a MotoX, that's why they can't have a higher margin LOL you're so clueless about this topic is like me explaining it to a grade 5 student.

LOL one hand you're saying 64-bit CPU is useless because its just there so more than 4GB RAM can be addressed, then you say Apple needs a 64-bit CPU for the fingerprint scanner LOL So they need it! Wow, they're put in something they need and you criticize it, my god you're such a troll.

Top 5 phones are not Apple? And who is deciding the top 5 phones? What are you claiming are the top 5? That seems rather subjective. Are we going by personal preference? Are we going by highest selling phones?
If you're going by sales LOL got a newsflash for you, Android is behind.

Did I mention iOS 7, why are you changing the topic. The actual birth of Android was a direct rip-off of iOS. Know you're history.
Also, many features from iOS 7 existed in apps on Cydia that jailbroken iOS devices have access to. They did not originally first appear on Android, some may not all. You clearly don't understand that both Google and Apple have taken what's existed by 3rd parties and incorporated into their OS.

Maybe FOR YOU SD-Cards are for media, for others they buy far less space on their phone, put an SD-card and install apps to make up for the lack of space then wonder why things take long. Or put really poor quality ones and wonder why it take 5 seconds to load a picture. Average consumer who is trying to save every penny by getting the cheapest phone model available tends to cheap out on the SD-quality too.
Even the above-average SD-Card is very much slower than flash memory.

"Google Explains Lack of SD Card Support For Nexus Devices": http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Google-SD-Card-Nexus-Smartphone,18841.html
You're beloved Android owners even have mentioned why...
You are truly a novice when it comes to understanding hardware and software

You haven't even specified how my iPhone points aren't valid, just by you saying they are doesn't make it so. You actually need to make a case to backup what you claim. Not very convienient for you huh?

PRE-ORDERS != ACTUAL SALES on weekend. If I pre-order something and it doesn't ARRIVE until 1 month later it doesn't count in the weekend sales. It's actual units pushed that weekend. No one comes close to Apple, no manufacturer with no phone, not even close

You don't know ANYTHING about sales numbers, here's a little education for you:
(Most ever are Apple iPhones, no Android phone ever has come close):
http://www.redmondpie.com/iphone-5s5c-launch-day-sales-trounce-samsung-galaxy-s-lineup-combined-by-a-ginormous-margin-chart/

"Samsung spent 50 days to pass the 10 million sales mark for the S3. The S4 will be Samsung's first '10 million seller' device less than a month after its official debut," said Shin.:
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/121110-samsung-galaxy-s4-performing-better-than-galaxy-s3-to-surpass-10-million-sales-next-week

Even taking the 5S and 5C sales as 50%/50%, they trounce any Android opening weekend. Any way you slice the 9 million ACTUALLY SOLD (not pre-order, they are different concepts), the 5S or 5C, along with 4S have demolished any opening weekend for any Android phone.

I don't want to make this about sales, but just another point you're wrong about, among many.

jankeke

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
A curved phone like this would make one handed operation on a big screen easier.

If someone already said this, sorry. But I couldn't bother to read all the comment as it quickly turned into the typical useless and boring Android vs IOS argument.

jankeke

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
A curved phone like this would make one handed operation on a big screen easier.

If someone already said this, sorry. But I couldn't bother to read all the comment as it quickly turned into the typical useless and boring Android vs IOS argument.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
@joe nate: its not about Android being from Linux and iOS not. It's not about the technical implementation of the operating system.

It's when Apple came out with iOS, they completely overhauled Android since it was far-behind iOS. Eric Schmidt was on Apple's board and was shown what the iPhone and iOS was. Immediately Android was changed to match iOS as not be fall further behind.

Jobs and others at Apple were furious he (Schmidt) used his position on the board to get Google to change Android to match what he was seeing at Apple with iOS.

Android was directly copied from iOS. I'm not undermining its development or evolution since, but its actual released copied to mass market consumer products was a direct copy of iOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.