[SOLVED] Samsung Monitor - Can't get 144hz

Status
Not open for further replies.

simmyx

Honorable
May 15, 2017
Just installed my Samsung monitor.
In HDMI 1 I have no option for 144hz, only 60hz.

In HDMI 2 - I have the option for 144hz but it was flickering like mad and had red dots all over the place.
So I turned freesync in the menu to ultimate and it's much better however only runs at 120hz and very ocasionally I get a flicker

Any ideas ?

I'm going to try a display port instead when I get a cable

If i change to 144hz it flickers. but at 120hz it seems fine

lc32jg56qquxen

Solution
  • One of the HDMI ports is version 1.4 and the other is version 2.0. I'm guessing the one that's (marginally) working for you is the 2.0 one.
    • According to the manual, HDMI 1 port only supports 1440p @ 60Hz, whereas HDMI 2 port supports 1440p @ 60/100/120/144Hz
    • Also according to the manual, HDMI 1 port doesn't support FreeSync on your monitor model
  • what GPU are you using?
  • try a different/better/shorter hdmi cable?
  • just use a DisplayPort cable instead?
  • One of the HDMI ports is version 1.4 and the other is version 2.0. I'm guessing the one that's (marginally) working for you is the 2.0 one.
    • According to the manual, HDMI 1 port only supports 1440p @ 60Hz, whereas HDMI 2 port supports 1440p @ 60/100/120/144Hz
    • Also according to the manual, HDMI 1 port doesn't support FreeSync on your monitor model

Last edited:
Solution

simmyx

Honorable
May 15, 2017

Thanks guys. sorry for the double post btw.

3060ti FE
I tried another HDMI cable and it wouldnt show anything whatsoever, so I changed to the one which the monitor came with and now seems ok at 120hz but nothing past that
In the monitors menu it says its running at 144hz, however in windows it says 120hz

I'll get a DP tomorrow . Hopefully that works at 144hz

Just go DisplayPort on Nvidia GPUs. Solve all your problems.

Windows may be derping the 120/144 refresh rate due to generic drivers. IIRC samsung is pretty good at providing drivers for their monitors. Download the one for yours and install. That may fix that issue. I don't THINK windows' refresh setting affects your in-game refresh rate limitations (ie I think you can still get/display 144Hz in games).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS