Question Samsung Neo G9 49' - ports bandwidth vs monitor specs

Dec 3, 2022
Hello to all,

I'm just trying to make a simple math here before I purchase a new 49' inch monitor Samsung G9 Neo that has a display resolution of 5120 x 1440 pixels @ 240 Hz frame rate.

With the native resolution, 240 Hz frame rate and a standard 8 bit per pixel depth color (not even 10) it sums up to a data transfer rate/ bandwidth of 53,08 Gbps.

This monitor has 2 types of ports: HDMI 2.1 (48 Gbps MAX) and Display Port 1.4 (32,4 Gbps MAX) and none of them supports this high transfer/refresh rate.

Can someone explain me how this monitor should reveal it's full potential if there is no way for it to receive a data with that rate? And it's not even 10 bit per pix of a color depth - with that the data speed will come up to ~ 63 Gbps

I believe, there is only one port on the market right now that can support this data speed rate - Display Port 2.1 which this monitor doesn't have. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022
Hi, I have the same monitor. Display stream compression plus hdr can deliver the 10 bit performance. It's does with some chroma supsampling artificats. It only seems to work with DP not HDMI.
Thanks so much for replying! Do you need to enable DSC somewhere or does it go on automatically? Also, do you know what is a compression rate? Meaning what does it come to (data transfer wise) if we are talking about 10 bit on this monitor with DSC enabled?

Thanks so much for replying! Do you need to enable DSC somewhere or does it go on automatically? Also, do you know what is a compression rate? Meaning what does it come to (data transfer wise) if we are talking about 10 bit on this monitor with DSC enabled?
DSC is typically auto enabled at the driver level. I also had to install g9 drivers to get it to work. Basically, DSC is a requirement since the bandwidth of the HDMI ports or DP isn't sufficient for 5k x 2k @ 240 hertz with 10 bit color. With DSC, color space is reduce to 4:4:2 instead of the non compressed 4:4:4....

Reactions: InteL_Centrino
Dec 3, 2022
DSC is typically auto enabled at the driver level. I also had to install g9 drivers to get it to work. Basically, DSC is a requirement since the bandwidth of the HDMI ports or DP isn't sufficient for 5k x 2k @ 240 hertz with 10 bit color. With DSC, color space is reduce to 4:4:2 instead of the non compressed 4:4:4....
Understood. And do you know the compression ratio for DSC ?

Last edited: