Samsung Now Mass-Producing eMMC 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

fixxxer113

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
I continue to be amazed by the progress in chip manufacturing. My first desktop PC had 64MB of RAM and a 10GB HDD which everyone thought was overkill at the time. Now, even a tiny MicroSD card can, according to the SDXC standard, achieve 2TB!! Hell, there are complete SoCs now that are waaaay more powerful than that PC and fit in a chip like the one in the picture...

Finally! My largest complaint about smartphones and tablets has been read/write speed from storage. 250MB/s is probably overkill for the CPUs in these devices, but the SD like speeds we have seen from current gen devices has been terrible. This will bring faster web browsing, boot times, file management, etc. This will also bring much more advanced features to phones and tablets such as the ability to do more photo and video editing on the device which is exciting.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Quite cool! Intel solved the performance with the last batch of Atom dual core processors but, while using my Dell Latitude 10, I often feel as if the eMMC could be faster.

Here's to a new Quad Atom eMMC 5.0 Dell Latitude 10q

Status
Not open for further replies.