Question Samsung Odyssey G9 + RTX 2080 - Freezing During Gameplay

Nov 5, 2022
I am attempting to troubleshoot a problem where video games freeze during game play. The system itself does not crash, but the games freeze, and I need to close it from task manager. Latest examples are New World and Modern Warfare 2. MW2 produces the following error code "0x887a005". New World does not display any error messages, the game just freezes. This is happening in windowed (1600x1200) and full-screen mode (5120x1440 and reduced resolution set by MW2), with the monitor at 120hz and 240hz. I ran CrystalDiskMark with no issues, ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic without any issues but would appreciate any suggestions that might be the cause.

If it is just my graphics card can't handle the monitor that's an easy enough solve, it would just be great to know for sure. Any insights would be appreciated, thank you.

System Specs:
  • Intel Core i7-8086K
  • ASUS PRIME Z370-A
  • G-Skill 2133 (8x4)
  • MSI RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO (Driver Version 526.47)
  • Samsung Odyssey G9 QHD 240hz (LC49G95TSSNXZA) Firmware M-T9549GGAA-1016.0
  • Samsung SSD 970 EVO 500GB
  • Windows 11

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Please include the make and model of your PSU and it's age. Have you tried using DDU to uninstall all GPU drivers(outside of Nvidia) and then manually reinstalling the latest Nvidia drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

Nov 5, 2022
Thank you @Lutfij. Apologies for not including my PSU details, it is the EVGA 750 GQ 80+ Gold. I am not sure of the exact age, but it looks to be around 2016. I ran DDU (thank you for the great suggestion) and will see if that resolves the issue.

Nov 5, 2022
@Lutfij - That regrettably did not solve my problem. Still received the same error in Modern Warfare 2, but I did capture a bunch of errors from Event Viewer.

###
The description for Event ID 13 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\000000e3
Graphics SM Warp Exception on (GPC 0, TPC 0, SM 0): Illegal Instruction Encoding

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table
###

Followed by several more similar errors, and after all of them it showed "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

Last edited: