Review Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 Review: A New Level Of Extreme

Dantte

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
I've read multiple reviews on this monitor and every single one has said the same thing except this one:
  • SCANLINES SCANLINES SCANLINES are so bad on the G8, one review put it on their "do not buy" list
  • Buying Samsung is like playing the lottery, some will get a good one and most will get a bad one
  • The Neo G7 beats the G8 in every aspect except speed, but seriously you are buying this monitor for image quality and there isnt a graphics card on the planet that can push 4K@240FPS, so do yourselves a favor and get the better Neo G7 165Hz version.

I've read multiple reviews on this monitor and every single one has said the same thing except this one:
  • SCANLINES SCANLINES SCANLINES are so bad on the G8, one review put it on their "do not buy" list
  • Buying Samsung is like playing the lottery, some will get a good one and most will get a bad one
  • The Neo G7 beats the G8 in every aspect except speed, but seriously you are buying this monitor for image quality and there isnt a graphics card on the planet that can push 4K@240FPS, so do yourselves a favor and get the better Neo G7 165Hz version.
Game choice and settings will get most things to 4k 240 easily.

CaptRiker

Prominent
Sep 17, 2022
WHY only DP 1.4 ?!?! you'll only be able to hit 240 hz at 4k with HDMI 2.1

a mega monitor this new should have included the latest DP spec. sigh

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006

Display Port 2.0 (and USB 4 v2) are not available on any Nvidia graphics card.

I'm very glad Samsung has stepped up and delivered a monitor with these specs.
There is definitely a chicken-and-egg situation in play regarding 4k, 10-bit, 120Hz monitors, graphics cards and games.

Why on planet earth would ANYONE spend twice the cost of their PC on a monitor to play CS:GO @ 4k low?
Why would anyone buy an esports monitor to get esports fps in an esports game for as cheap as possible? Even if not, my argument was not that someone would do it (they do), it was that its simply possible. Here is a quick and dirty comparison, can even play at med to high in esports games at 4k 240.

Last edited:

samopa

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015
Why on planet earth would ANYONE spend twice the cost of their PC on a monitor to play CS:GO @ 4k low?

My monitor (Samsung Odyssey Neo G8) cost less than half of my CPU (look at my sig) cost.
It would be senseless to pair a $4000 CPU with a dirt cheap $100 Monitor, IMHO.

My monitor (Samsung Odyssey Neo G8) cost less than half of my CPU (look at my sig) cost.
It would be senseless to pair a $4000 CPU with a dirt cheap $100 Monitor, IMHO.

Lol You got extremely ripped off if you paid $4k for a 12900K!

And I'm pretty sure you misunderstood what I said. I said there is no one paying $2k for a monitor to play Rocket League at 4k low.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020

Of course they won't be foolish enough to "show hand" at one go. The idea is to give their buyers a reason up upgrade later.

Having said that, I think it is quite exciting to see more Mini LED monitors launching. While OLED delivers better HDR, I generally find the SDR brightness level of OLED to be too low for usage outside of games and movies. Also I feel people will need to consciously change their monitor usage since OLEDs are more prone to burn ins.

samopa

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015
Lol You got extremely ripped off if you paid $4k for a 12900K!

Sorry, different area different term, in my area (part of my country) CPU means PC minus monitor minus keyboard minus mouse, basically PC Casing with everything inside it, not the processor. 12900K is the processor not the CPU in my (area) term. The Processor itself only cost me around $600.

Reactions: drivinfast247

oofdragon

Honorable
Oct 14, 2017
Watch a movie in 1080p60 LCD or 4K120 OLED.. it's the same movie. In my book a 24inch 1080p 120hz IPS is already the mark "that's all there is to it". Better gaming of my life was N64 era and it was not even 720p/30fps. Heck it didn't even had a mouse and a keyboard, it was plain old stick in a brick. But when I compare CP2077 with Perfect Dark it's so clear.. no one need anything "high tech" for immersion and fun, even books will beat gaming at this regard and there is no hdr or whatever to them. The immersion/FUN you experience with the game is about you, not the tool as long as it plays. Today I hardly have any enjoyment playing CP2077 seeing it for what it is, just trans agenda, but back then Perfect Dark was out of this world literally. Having a RTX4090 and a Neo G8 won't change CP2077 to better, it will just give me more of the same. 1080p/120fps is already luxury to anyone that always had fun playing Mario or whatever game there has always been. You know the truth is no one but specs warriors really cares about this, it's just marketing.

Dec 20, 2022
Dec 20, 2022
Samsung’s Odyssey Neo G8 gaming monitor has 4K, 240 Hz, Adaptive-Sync, HDR2000, 1,196 dimming zone Mini LED backlighting and wide gamut color. It also delivers tremendous contrast from its VA panel with a 1000R curvature.

Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 Review: A New Level Of Extreme : Read more
Is there a way to get in contact with the editor/product reviewer for this monitor? I recently purchased this product and ultimately returned it one week later and I have some gripes about it that I would like to discuss. I don't think this product is anywhere close to a 5 star product and I think there are some areas that the readers should be aware of. I don't want to bash or sully this product if maybe I just got a bad monitor. But I really see major differences between a $2000 dollar monitor and this $1000 (Black Friday 2022 price).

Being up front I just signed up for this account to reach out to the editor but I am a daily reader for years.

Is there a way to get in contact with the editor/product reviewer for this monitor? I recently purchased this product and ultimately returned it one week later and I have some gripes about it that I would like to discuss. I don't think this product is anywhere close to a 5 star product and I think there are some areas that the readers should be aware of. I don't want to bash or sully this product if maybe I just got a bad monitor. But I really see major differences between a $2000 dollar monitor and this $1000 (Black Friday 2022 price).

Being up front I just signed up for this account to reach out to the editor but I am a daily reader for years.
You should detail your gripes about it in this thread. That is what it is for by the way. If the editor sees your comment and feels the need to reply to it, they will.

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
I have a Samsung Neo G8, tested it for about 1 hour, local dimming off and black level to 15 gets rid of most black crush in SDR. Got it for 1200 euros during black friday.

Another thing that is not mentioned here is that this "thing's" stand is not vertical but diagonal, so it will eat about 30-40 cm of your table easily which is a problem for people without office desks(or if you don't mind having it mounted sideways instead of forward).

Also if you thing "l'll just desk/wall mount it" guess again : the few models that can withstand the frontal weight of this monitor cost 350 euros plus and you need to use the makeshift Vesa 75 to Vesa 100 provided by Samsung to mount it which puts the adapter outside about 1cm off the monitor, couple that with the extreme 1000R the monitor has making it about 17 cm thick and you have a weight issue which can only be fixed with a high tension spring . Get the wrong model and at best the screen will tilt forwards with a good chance of eventually losing grip and letting the screen tilt completely and hit a wall and potentially break.

QC from Samsung is also a joke apparently and many who got this monitor in perfect condition found scanlines and dead pixels after a couple of weeks of using it. I am tempted to return it while I can and get the Gigabyte M32U instead(the Dell G3223 is not available at all for me, literally can't buy it).

I find it completely absurd how they couldn't use a vertical arm so it wouldn't take space from the front, using the support they send with it puts the screen about 35 cm forward from where you put it so you really need a deep desk to keep it from being in your face.
So we have a poorly designed support that requires a 350 euro desk mount/wall mount or a very deep desk(or staying at 10cm from the screen, your choice), bad QC with issues popping up at any time an aggressive EU price of about 1600 euros base and a 5 dead pixel warranty.
I guess it is a do or die monitor but you have 3 years to just give up on it and get your money back at least in EU, just make sure you don't accidently make any damage at all, even if cosmetic, as Samsung will probably deny your RMA.

Edit : returned my G8 as it had a desync right in the middle of the panel which looked like the left side was faster than the right side and hovering videos or text on youtube cause the right side to start showing black and white rectangles, also when moving windows around. Trying to get a replacement unit since the image is good but if it comes with these issues I am just going for a Gigabyte M32U

Last edited:
Watch a movie in 1080p60 LCD or 4K120 OLED.. it's the same movie. In my book a 24inch 1080p 120hz IPS is already the mark "that's all there is to it". Better gaming of my life was N64 era and it was not even 720p/30fps. Heck it didn't even had a mouse and a keyboard, it was plain old stick in a brick. But when I compare CP2077 with Perfect Dark it's so clear.. no one need anything "high tech" for immersion and fun, even books will beat gaming at this regard and there is no hdr or whatever to them. The immersion/FUN you experience with the game is about you, not the tool as long as it plays. Today I hardly have any enjoyment playing CP2077 seeing it for what it is, just trans agenda, but back then Perfect Dark was out of this world literally. Having a RTX4090 and a Neo G8 won't change CP2077 to better, it will just give me more of the same. 1080p/120fps is already luxury to anyone that always had fun playing Mario or whatever game there has always been. You know the truth is no one but specs warriors really cares about this, it's just marketing.
Isn't it nice to have an opinion.

Dec 20, 2022
You should detail your gripes about it in this thread. That is what it is for by the way. If the editor sees your comment and feels the need to reply to it, they will.
Thanks for the advice on the best route to address my concerns.

So the gripes I have with this particular model I'm completely open to discussion as I don't claim to know everything about monitors but I can usually point out when things are not as they should be. So if anything maybe I can walk away from this post learning something but my ultimate goal would be for a well informed buyer to know what they are getting.

Gripes:
1. My unit came with dust or what I believe to be dust from my research in the lcd panel somewhere which you can see in some of the attached pictures.

2. My unit had something on the external screen that I wiped off with a lens cloth. Maybe dust maybe make up, I don't know but it was a good quarter of an inch off the screen surface and had those consistencies. Picture also attached.

3. I could sit at the desktop and watch the backlight constantly change light levels while doing nothing. I don't know what it was doing but not a normal thing for the backlight to be doing across the entire panel.

4. If you look closely at the some of the pictures ( circled in one) of the panel you can see like a wave or ripple... that was actually moving like a lava lamp. I don't know what that phenomenon is called and couldn't find a specific call out for it on the internet.

5. Scan lines on blue bars. I've seen this called out multiple times across the internet too. Why is it not called out in this article? How could this be acceptable of five stars and a price tag of $1000 to $1500 dollars?

6. I think this one is what bothers me the most. Not sure if this one is open to user preference or if there is a specific standard that dictates what truly is, but when Samsung advertises HDR 2000 or even 1000 for that matter that's what I expect when no other supporting documentation or specifications are present. I expect as a consumer that in this instance the entire panel should hit that rating. On page five of the article the author states,

"The Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 can top 2,000 nits in HDR mode if you measure a tiny portion of the screen. I used a 1% window pattern. Larger windows are less bright. By 25%, the peak output was down to 1,203 nits, which is still impressive. To say that the G8 produces bright highlights would be an understatement. The HDR image leaps from the screen. Coupled with an unmeasurable black level, the contrast ratio is infinite. Though I didn’t have the Asus PG32UQX on hand for a visual comparison, the G8 was equal in impact to my LG 65GX OLED TV showing the same content. "

This statement should have been expanded upon because I believe it directly correlates to the price/quality of this panel versus the competition. I believe Samsung hasn't innovated here but merely scrapped by so they could list that they hit these specifications. My previous monitors a PG27UQ (HDR 1000 384 zone FALD) and PG35VQ(HDR 1000 512 zone FALD) will literally blind me when playing Destiny 2 and a all white screen transition happens. I tried Destiny 2 on this Samsung monitor and did not get the effect and I couldn't figure out why. I thought HDR was turned off, it wasn't. But after reading this article the other day I surmise that the panel cant handle high nit levels on the full panel at once. That I believe is misleading marketing. The five star rating I believe has no place on this monitor. Your misleading readers, in my opinion.

I'm open to others opinions but the rating really just rubbed me the wrong way, if not for only item numbers 5 and 6.

Reactions: helper800