Samsung Offering Sandy Bridge PC Refunds

Status
Not open for further replies.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I'm glad they're really taking the initiative to refund people quickly, but all accounts state that this chipset issue won't even be an issue for quite some time. Wouldn't it be more effective to just do nothing for now and then offer a replacement product once the issue is fixed? Then the customer can still get the functionality of their device for the next few months.

gsxr1181

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Looks like Intel is taking a huge hit with this chip set flaw. To bad AMD didn't have Bulldozer ready to roll out. They could really capitalize on Intel's screw up.

goonigoogoo

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]I'm glad they're really taking the initiative to refund people quickly, but all accounts state that this chipset issue won't even be an issue for quite some time. Wouldn't it be more effective to just do nothing for now and then offer a replacement product once the issue is fixed? Then the customer can still get the functionality of their device for the next few months.[/citation]

Samsung in no way is legally responsible for the refund. Don't be fooled this is a good public relations move which in the long run will benefit Samsung.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]kscr7[/nom]i had a feeling such a good chip is too good to be true...[/citation]

It's NOT the processor....it's the SATA/RAID controller on the P67/H67 based motherboards... Have you actually read any of the dozen or more articles about this????

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]goonigoogoo[/nom]Samsung in no way is legally responsible for the refund. Don't be fooled this is a good public relations move which in the long run will benefit Samsung.[/citation]
Since when aren't they legally responsible for the refund if they're selling a product with a flaw?

valpanig

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]It's NOT the processor....it's the SATA/RAID controller on the P67/H67 based motherboards... Have you actually read any of the dozen or more articles about this????[/citation]

The issue always in bigger picture, don't believe in everything was typed in online. Intel, removed both mobos and cpus from the market for a reason.

dmcfc

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
[citation][nom]milktea[/nom]I'm not surprise. With Samsung, quality always comes first. I'm really happy with my Galaxy S.[/citation]

R u sure?? I also have a galaxy s (captivate) and really i bought it at day of release, i've been waiting for froyo since then, thats 6-7 months!! The support always say they don't have a set date for it's release, their support is pretty bad, how can u say quality comes first??
The phone has a lot of bugs, gps doesn't work, phone freezes often....

valpanig

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
[citation][nom]rwpritchett[/nom]Here that AMD??? Opportunity is knocking![/citation]

AmD should be working night and day to introduce top of the line design without flaws right now. I don't understand what are they waiting for.
Get the Buldozer out and feel like a king for a day :).

OgCracKer

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
Samsung has great customer service. My Samsung 46 LCD TV was out of warranty and the exchange it with a new LED Model with a one year warranty. When they could have told me to pound dirt seeing my TV was out of warranty. They did the same thing for my boss. They even delivered the new TV, set it up and took the old one away free of charge. I highly recommend Samsung products. Best customer service and they even called me to resolve the issue.

VGKitov

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
This is a great move for them, because they dit it first. IMO this move will get them even more customers. And since they didn't sell too many PC's they should not have much of a financial loss.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
3000 units * $1k per unit (est. average) = $3M. That's a drop in the bucket, worth the positive press and customer confidence alone. I mean really, how often can a company buy goodwill from an entire market and give the appearance of standing firmly behind its products for a mere $3M? Excellent marketing manoeuver, and their customers benefit.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]dmcfc[/nom]R u sure?? I also have a galaxy s (captivate) and really i bought it at day of release, i've been waiting for froyo since then, thats 6-7 months!! The support always say they don't have a set date for it's release, their support is pretty bad, how can u say quality comes first??The phone has a lot of bugs, gps doesn't work, phone freezes often....[/citation]

I'd be more inclined to blame your network provider than Samsung themselves. Even so, it's easier having a phone which isn't tied to a specific vendor. I was able to update mine to Froyo back in October as soon as it popped up on Kies.

G

@burnley14
How would you feel if you bought one of those products that has an "issue won't even be an issue for quite some time?" I wouldn't want to use a computer only to have to send it back later with all my data, and without a spare to work with. That's a lot of hassle. Kudos to Samsung for doing this. Now those customers have a choice of waiting until Sandy Bridge is fixed, or buy a computer without that flaw now. Choice is always good.

wawa sxm

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
[citation][nom]kscr7[/nom]i had a feeling such a good chip is too good to be true...[/citation]

With the tone of the articles on toms hardware i can understand why you think that...its as tough the whole pc will fail and all my data erased....but in reality its a tiny problem that wont be notice by most and is easily avoided, really easily avoided.

wawa sxm

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
[citation][nom]valpanig[/nom]The issue always in bigger picture, don't believe in everything was typed in online. Intel, removed both mobos and cpus from the market for a reason.[/citation]

well think about it, how can intel sell a cpu with no mobo? the only mobo that can handle the cpu has a defect. if they left the cpu on the market i think a lot of people that don't really understand whats going on will buy the cpu and be upset cuz they cant use it.....that and who wants a lawsuits

truehighroller

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
This can be by passed by simply using an after market controller card. Everything else is fine.

Kind of like when your Integrated NIC fails, you just go buy a add in one. Sound goes out, same thing go get a card. Sata controller has an inherited issue that will make it degrade in performance over time, get a controller card.

I'm going to be ordering me one any way on eBay watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.