Samsung Planning to Ship Half a Billion Handsets in 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
390 million depends greatly on your definition of a "smartphone".

GS3's or iPhones are "smartphones". Phones with dinky 2.8" 320x240 screens with processors incapable of running 90% of Apps out there have no business being put into the "smartphone" category.

Samsung still sells devices with Froyo in many markets around the world and even in the US they sell a lot of low-end phones with Gingerbread. Seriously, Samsung? What's next, HP or Dell shipping a PC with Windows 2000 or XP?

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]390 million depends greatly on your definition of a "smartphone".GS3's or iPhones are "smartphones". Phones with dinky 2.8" 320x240 screens with processors incapable of running 90% of Apps out there have no business being put into the "smartphone" category.Samsung still sells devices with Froyo in many markets around the world and even in the US they sell a lot of low-end phones with Gingerbread. Seriously, Samsung? What's next, HP or Dell shipping a PC with Windows 2000 or XP?[/citation]

Even though I despise such devices as well, many people are glad they can buy a cheap Galaxy Ace/Galaxy Mini and still be able to check their mail on the phone and use Skype.

G

Waiting on the Galaxy Note 3 this year with the 6.3 inch 1080p screen, 4gb ram. To upgrade my Note 1.

deftonian

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
If Samsung continues to move down this path of releasing amazing high-end phones, then I will stick with them. My Note II is the first Samsung phone owned but it probably wont be my last. Very impressive phones.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]soldier2013[/nom]Waiting on the Galaxy Note 3 this year with the 6.3 inch 1080p screen, 4gb ram. To upgrade my Note 1.[/citation]
Me too. I'm currently on a DROID RAZR MAXX. I wanted the Note 1 but it wasn't available on Verizon. I have better battery life, anyway. Seems like the Note 2's battery is better than the Note 1. I'm at the edge of my seat waiting to see what the battery life will be like in the Note 3 with it's 6.3" screen. Prior to upgrading to my MAXX, I had a Samsung Omnia SCH-i910. I was getting bored with it but didn't want to upgrade yet, so I put a different ROM on it, which pushed it from Win 6.1 to Win 6.5. Still slow and unproductive in comparison to my MAXX. Oh my, how technology has changed in 3 1/2 years.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Even though I despise such devices as well, many people are glad they can buy a cheap Galaxy Ace/Galaxy Mini and still be able to check their mail on the phone and use Skype.[/citation]

Developers aren't glad. Despite the gazillions of Android devices out there they aren't doing anything to move Android along as developers won't waste time writing Apps for junky phones that can't properly run them.

Phones like the GS3 or Note are good for Android and developers as they provide a platform for developing great Apps. Unfortunately, they comprise a small portion of the total Android devices out there.

I used to develop for Android and switched to iOS. I just can't justify the time/money with such a small possibility of getting a return due to the limited market.

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]Developers aren't glad. Despite the gazillions of Android devices out there they aren't doing anything to move Android along as developers won't waste time writing Apps for junky phones that can't properly run them.Phones like the GS3 or Note are good for Android and developers as they provide a platform for developing great Apps. Unfortunately, they comprise a small portion of the total Android devices out there.I used to develop for Android and switched to iOS. I just can't justify the time/money with such a small possibility of getting a return due to the limited market.[/citation]

Then developers, you, aren't realizing that it also provides a market potential to write apps that require very little processor power to run properly, or simply are able to recognize that they are running on a low power phone and adjust settings accordingly. Game developer have done this for decades.

Developers should just be glad that people are getting these low powered smartphones in the first place as you can be absolutely sure that those same people will get a higher powered phone once they can afford it. It's called socio-technological progress.

infernocy

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
the big irony in this one is if viruses die , then the antivirus companies die too .. so the argument is do they create them , i mean the small ones that dont steal info but only do damage and so you need to use them ...

i dont know the answer to that but its not hard to go that way ..

Status
Not open for further replies.