News Samsung plans to eliminate humans from its chip fabs by 2030 — push for full automation continues at full steam: Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

hannibal

Distinguished
No worker strikes, no week ends or holiday breaks. Nice to hear that we humans are not needed anymore…
Maybe i should buy Samsung stocks, the profit for cutting out workers goes to owners….

Mindstab Thrull

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2014
I expect they will need *some* human staff to just make sure nothing goes wrong. For example, if a piece breaks, someone will need to come in and replace it, ideally with someone on hand. There might only be a dozen staff in the entire building but I think at this stage we still need a few bodies there.
Also, what are those people going to do once the fans don't need bodies to work them anymore? It's a great idea in theory but then you'll have tens of not hundreds of thousands of people out of a job. If this was like Star Trek, they'd be free to pursue leisure activities or whereever their interests took them... but we're not there yet.

Mindstab Thrull
*looks up at Endrek Sahr* When's lunch?

3tank

Prominent
Jun 21, 2022
Ahh...there's that "2030" I keep seeing over and over and over.
Who's going to be buying their components when most people will be phased out of the work force?

Jan 3, 2024
I've worked in two different fabs now. I've worked in depth on and with every type of etch tool from all the major manufacturers and am currently a yield technician. All I can say is "lol, that's really cute". Typical upper management not knowing at all how the sausage is made in a everyday nuts and bolts sort of way. This is entirely unrealistic, and assuming it is implemented, what do you do when the sensors inevitably have some kind of failure and don't report it to the controlling system, because the failure happens in a central part of that software infrastructure? I shudder to think of it.

Reactions: cyrusfox
Jan 4, 2024
Well I won’t be buying Samsung products anymore. If people are concerned about jobs then boycott Samsung and don’t buy there products. Hit them where it hurts money sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.