[SOLVED] Samsung PM830 SATA SSD showing up as ROM MODE (0.0GB) in BIOS

i-am-L

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2014
I have a nearly 4-year-old Samsung PM830 SATA SSD which sometimes gets detected normally, boots up, and works totally fine. Other times it is not detected which is when I checked the BIOS to see this detected as ROM MODE (0.0GB). It won't happen midway if the SSD is successfully detected.
I don't know why it goes into rom mode just like that and it seems like it happens only during POST.
I searched a bit and got to know rom mode is for flashing an f/w into the SSD but still, it shouldn't go into it automatically. I even tried with different SATA cables but no luck.

Just to clarify, the SSD is not dead. Its wear level count is at 90, not much used.
F/W: CXM03D1Q
SATA mode: AHCI

Solution
I have a nearly 4-year-old Samsung PM830 SATA SSD which sometimes gets detected normally, boots up, and works totally fine. Other times it is not detected which is when I checked the BIOS to see this detected as ROM MODE (0.0GB). It won't happen midway if the SSD is successfully detected.
I don't know why it goes into rom mode just like that and it seems like it happens only during POST.
I searched a bit and got to know rom mode is for flashing an f/w into the SSD but still, it shouldn't go into it automatically. I even tried with different SATA cables but no luck.

Just to clarify, the SSD is not dead. Its wear level count is at 90, not much used.
Reseat the sata cable....both ends.
Reseat the...
"ROM mode" is a kind of safe mode that the SSD reverts to when it cannot read its essential firmware components. That's a bad sign.

Note that a firmware update will most likely not fix this problem since it does not target all the firmware components, especially not those that are most likely to be responsible for the problem.

Reseat the power cable....both ends if modular.
Try a different sata port on the mobo.
Try a different sata cable.

Solution

i-am-L

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2014
"ROM mode" is a kind of safe mode that the SSD reverts to when it cannot read its essential firmware components. That's a bad sign.

Note that a firmware update will most likely not fix this problem since it does not target all the firmware components, especially not those that are most likely to be responsible for the problem.

Is there any way to fix it? I tried looking for this problem, no luck.

Reseat the power cable....both ends if modular.
Try a different sata port on the mobo.
Try a different sata cable.

This SSD sits inside my dad's laptop. He said that the SSD was not working so to check it I connected the SSD to my PC. Yes, I have tried changing SATA and power cables. I am certain this is not a cable or connection problem.

Is there any way to fix it? I tried looking for this problem, no luck.

This SSD sits inside my dad's laptop. He said that the SSD was not working so to check it I connected the SSD to my PC. Yes, I have tried changing SATA and power cables. I am certain this is not a cable or connection problem.
If it does not work in the laptop and the desktop it would seem the ssd is busted.