Samsung Preparing to Reveal 'Radical Brand Makeover'

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]This will be interesting to see, but I wonder why Samsung thinks this is necessary.[/citation]
It's a teenager not sure of it self.

mousseng

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
The South Korean conglomerate is apparently planning to unveil a "complete new look" that will compete with Apple's "vibrant" international brand image.
I bet that's similar to what they said about some of their products a while back, too.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
My guess is this stems from stories and converstations like "Apple iPhone vs Android" when what Samsung wants to see is "Apple iPhone vs Samsung Phone".

My wife is an Apple fan and when she wants something she looks for Apple first and then happens to see what products they sell in that category. Even though I love Samsung products I've never said to myself, "I need a new phone so I'll go see what Samsung has". Or "I need a new TV, what does Samsung sell?" I always say "I want an Android, who happens to have the best phone at the moment?"

There isn't much brand fanboy ism for Samsung like there is for Apple (and their army of people who will buy their stuff regardless of reviews). I think Samsung wants the fan boys.

As long as this "new band image" doesn't alter their usual high quality in most of the stuff they build (don't like their notebooks at all, for one) and the price they ask for them, I'm cool with it.

Cheers!

G

I have an ASUS laptop, Just updated my HD graphics drivers and I recieve the updated drivers about 2 times a year! My Samsung's HD graphics drivers, none yet, but At least all my graphics software workes on the Samsung, but I would still like to get the Graphics driver updates when they come out! I guess Samsung is going to be like Toshiba, several of my graphics programs do not work beacuse Toshiba never updates their OEM customized HD graphics drivers! Samsung and Toshiba, why do you not use genaric Intel HD graphics drivers or at least update your OEM versions? Samsung work keeping your OEM system software updated, instead of just changing a few logos, do not be another Toshiba. with disfunctional system software and no driver updates!

ivanto

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
[citation][nom]deftonian[/nom]I'll buy [most of] their electronics either way.[/citation]
Samsung's $7B profit counts on customers like the guy above.

[citation][nom]deftonian[/nom] to unveil a "complete new look" that will compete with Apple's "vibrant" international brand image. .[/citation]
Can Samsung be a thought leader? Why do they settle for copying/imitating, can't they be better?
-IvanTO

Sammy, if you want a better image internationally then please start with how you support your products overseas. You make some of the best phones, displays, home appliances, and even big earth-moving equipment... it is all great stuff, with solid branding, good quality, and a decent price.

The problem? Samsung has exactly 2 warehouses in the US for most of their parts. One on the east coast, one on the west coast, and if something breaks it takes far too long for replacement parts to show up because these 2 warehouses do not stock the same parts! Not such an issue with electronics like monitors or phones... but when you move up to TVs and appliances this becomes a big issue. You need at least 3 warehouses, all of which have a similar stock. Fix that and you may become the 'perfect' company.

And for the record, I have never thought of Sammy as an 'asian' company in their styling. Products in sleek black and stainless steel look good no matter what country you live in.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
[citation][nom]jaber2[/nom]It's a teenager not sure of it self.[/citation]
Somewhat true. Samsung was founded during a time when Korea was war torn because they had to suffer two consecutive wars one after the other right on their home ground. Because of that, Samsung became focused on manufacturing to stabilize the economic pressures coming from both U.S. and Japan. That is the reason Samsung has some of the most advanced manufacturing lines in the world. They invested heavily in manufacturing while companies like Apple invested heavily in marketing. Now, Samsung who have matured a lot in the past 50 years wants to globalize their brand rather then being the company that makes "everything", but no one really knows what they make.

[citation][nom]ikefu[/nom]Even though I love Samsung products I've never said to myself, "I need a new phone so I'll go see what Samsung has". Or "I need a new TV, what does Samsung sell?" I always say "I want an Android, who happens to have the best phone at the moment?"[/citation]
Heh, right, like, I want a huge-@$$ phone, I guess I'll go with Samsung because that's the only real choice. I don't see this as a deficiency on Samsung's part; they make good products...I just find myself wondering if it's possible for another company to build up the kind of cult following that Apple enjoys.

That being said, though, the styling of the S3 and the Note 2 don't really do much for me. I'm not saying they look bad, but I don't look at them and say, "Mm, that's some good design work, right there." I'm not gonna feel like I'm missing out if I buy a Note 2 and then put it in a case.

It'll be interesting to see what changes they end up making.

halcyon

Splendid
^Samsung doesn't really focus on aesthetics too much from the look of their devices, they just have a "me-too" look to them, nothing differentiating like what we've seen from Apple. However, their devices work great. Function over form. Okay.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
[citation][nom]ivanto[/nom]Samsung's $7B profit counts on customers like the guy above.Can Samsung be a thought leader? Why do they settle for copying/imitating, can't they be better? -IvanTO[/citation]
And then you realize what Samsung really is. You look at Samsung's mobile division and you are just scratching the surface. Then you dig deeper and you realize the money Samsung is bringing in is actually going towards leading the technology sector of the world. Then you realize the amount of money they put into future tech like robotics, deep-sea exploration, world military securities, etc. But no, your mind is so shallow all you see is rectangular shapes and swipe patents.

ivanto

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
[citation][nom]ikyung[/nom]And then you realize what Samsung really is. You look at Samsung's mobile division and you are just scratching the surface. Then you dig deeper and you realize the money Samsung is bringing in is actually going towards leading the technology sector of the world. Then you realize the amount of money they put into future tech like robotics, deep-sea exploration, world military securities, etc. But no, your mind is so shallow all you see is rectangular shapes and swipe patents.[/citation]

I thumbed up your comment. Being great at what other do great is not leadership, it's excellent management. Disrupting what works today and creating something radically new takes balls, brains and faith.
It's a matter of principles.
-IvanTO

ricdiculus

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
[citation][nom]ivanto[/nom]Samsung's $7B profit counts on customers like the guy above.Can Samsung be a thought leader? Why do they settle for copying/imitating, can't they be better? -IvanTO[/citation]

And so... what Apples comes from guys like you?

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
why change? i mean samsung is like toyota, seen as an asian company sure, but for the most part considered to be the standad to compare otehrs to in terms of quality and function.... it is a good place to be

G

@ikefu

funny thing is if i am in for a new laptop or TV or fridge I do check out what samsung has, Im no fanboy but samsung makes Some sweet laptops and their TV and fridge are second to none (capacitor problem aside, which was more of a problem with a parts supplier that samsung had no control over)

Status
Not open for further replies.