Samsung Prepping Huge Galaxy Note Pro for UK Pre-orders

Status
Not open for further replies.

czar1020

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
Maybe I'm just a pansy but I thought the 10" was plenty large, it seems to a bit too big for anything I would want/need it for.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
czar, I'm not saying you are wrong but I used to get funny stares and laughs when I first got my Note 1. Now 5+" phones are everywhere.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007

Oh man, same. The Ascend Mate launched at CES 2013 and I thought it was absolutely ridiculous. Ascend Mate 2 (same screen size!) comes one year later and it looks completely normal.

12.2 inches is big, but it didn't feel overly awkward when we played with it at CES. I don't know what I would use it for, but there you go...

chumly

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
I bought an 11.8" Lenovo with an Atom and Windows 8, 2 GB Ram, and a 64 GB SSD for $250. You really don't realize how much you are missing until you have a full blown PC in a tablet.This is just a big phone. lol. And I bet you it costs 2-3x more than mine.

voltagetoe

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009
Could be even 13.3 inches - it's a good size for wacom penabled devices. The S-Pen is damn accurately calibrated - it's perfect. This one I will buy for sure if it's just priced fairly.

voltagetoe

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009
If this is as responsive and accurate as 2013 note, there's absolutely no point in looking at expensive cintiq companions. Everything right now suggests that this one will be the first serious/usable mobile sketching device in the history of man.

B4vB5

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
Maybe its just me, but I think only phones have a "max" size as such. My optimal sized tablet would be an A4 page size tablet, as that's the work size I was use to growing up and no way Apple is gonna dictate to me that a 9 inch tablet is the norm.

I currently have a 15" laptop with touchscreen (Win8.1 makes a little more sense now..) and I would go as far as to say its the optimal "tablet" for me. Instant startup or close to it, with an 840 Evo swap for HDD, and the screen itself is often faster to use than the keyboard mousepad. Not to mention crystal clear 1080p resolution, no noise and ample space multiple windows at the same time with no limitations of traditional tablets. I do not miss the iPad4 I gave to a family member after buying this (semi-ultra) laptop.

Phone wise, size can be an issue and a phone should be able to fit in an inner jacket pocket, pants side pocket or jacket side pocket. For us with larger fingers, I do welcome a phone thats a bit wider than an iPhone for comfort when typing stuff. I am aware most smartphones can be flipped for a wider keyboard in landscape mode but still, a little bit more space would be nice.

Maybe I'm just a pansy but I thought the 10" was plenty large, it seems to a bit too big for anything I would want/need it for.
Go grab a letter-sized sheet of paper and measure it. It's about 14" diagonal. After you remove the margins, the readable area is about 12" diagonal.Mark my words - this will eventually be the standard size of tablets in the future. The current 10" size is just a concession to the technology not yet being to the point where you can make a 12" tablet that's affordable and lightweight enough to carry everywhere. The readable area of a 10" display is a bit smaller than a National Geographic magazine (text area is 11" diagonal). Which is to say smaller than just about every other magazine out there. ~12" diagonal is the sweet spot - it became the standard for published documents for a reason.7" tablets are taking over the low-end market for the same reason. Their readable area is almost identical to a paperback book's. As with standard letter/A4 sized paper and magazines, the paperback book size became a standard because it was a good compromise between readable area and single-hand holdability.

YOU can't think of any reason, but there's a huge market for large devices (even though a 5" phone is not large by any means). Better productivity, more room for content editing, and in this case the perfectly calibrated S-Pen that can take advantage of the larger screen estate. Luckily, not everyone has your limitations; you should see some of the creations made on large Galaxy devices.

Zetto

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008
Go grab a letter-sized sheet of paper and measure it. It's about 14" diagonal. After you remove the margins, the readable area is about 12" diagonal.Mark my words - this will eventually be the standard size of tablets in the future. The current 10" size is just a concession to the technology not yet being to the point where you can make a 12" tablet that's affordable and lightweight enough to carry everywhere. The readable area of a 10" display is a bit smaller than a National Geographic magazine (text area is 11" diagonal). Which is to say smaller than just about every other magazine out there. ~12" diagonal is the sweet spot - it became the standard for published documents for a reason.7" tablets are taking over the low-end market for the same reason. Their readable area is almost identical to a paperback book's. As with standard letter/A4 sized paper and magazines, the paperback book size became a standard because it was a good compromise between readable area and single-hand holdability.
Yep, make it a Surface Pro at those dimensions and it's gold.

godnodog

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
I have the Galaxy Note 10.1 (not the 2014 version), although it freezes for some seconds for unknown reasons, I have to say that big is better, but I bought for college notations. One of my best purchases ever.

grimzkunk

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
You guys don't seem to understand that it's always gonna get bigger. There is need for bigger screen in every house. You just don't realize it yet. Samsung will do it again, and Apple will follow (let's hope). I think the expression "tablet" will have to fall someday if we want some faster improvement. MS and Samsung released this SUR40 touch table too early, but I'm sure everyone will have those kind of things in their living room in a near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.