Question Samsung RC730 CPU Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

you_change

Prominent
Sep 12, 2017
I have asked this question once here already but now I think it's going to work.

Gonna try to keep this short.

I have a Samsung Laptop RC730 SO9DE

Current CPU is i5-2430M

Current dGPU is a GT540M

Have upgraded the GPU already with an external GPU.
Adapter used: GDC EXP V.8.5C
eGPU: GTX 960 4GB
(Everybody here said eGPU wouldn't be possible due to some BIOS <Mod Edit> but hey I proved you wrong)

To the CPU upgrade.
Current CPU is socketed NOT soldered.
I have a already bought an i7-2670QM.
Yes. It's a QM CPU meaning I'll theoretically have 2 cores more than my current dual core.

Rated TDP went up from my current CPU 35 W to new CPU 45 W.

No problem I have already modified the heatsink. Right now on max load (AIDA64) Stresstest 45°C.
I know. Amazing.

My i5 and the new i7 have the same socket type so it should fit. Now I don't know about the chipset have to look that up but I'm fairly certain that it's going to work.

Just want your opinion on this.

With lots of hope
you_succ

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: STLANZEL

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
As long as the BIOS is happy with it, I don't see why not. Might power throttle under a full load if that board wasn't intended for a quad core, but the high end i7 mobile chips are always heavily binned so they operate at the lowest power envelope possible. An additional 10W shouldn't ruin it.

I imagine most people told you it wasn't worth it. But I assume they were worried the card wouldn't operate with an old school BIOS. That is a concern starting with the 900 series, certainly some of the 10 series cards won't drop into old computers and just work. However, if you already have the OS installed, you can usually get away with it.

you_change

Prominent
Sep 12, 2017
Don't know if this thread is still active but I'm going to ask this anyway.

I have successfully integrated the new i7 in the Laptop. Everything is working fine. All 4 cores show up in taskmanager and so on.
Perfect.

Performance is of course better.

Now comes the question.
The i7 I bought is 2nd Gen. Just like my i5.

Could I theoretically integrate a 3rd Gen CPU with the same socket in the Laptop?
Would it work? Why wouldn't it work?

With many regards and hopes
The Guy who upgraded his Laptop CPU

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Maybe. This goes back the BIOS question. What does that BIOS support. A difficult question to answer unless it is published by the vendor.

On retail boards you expect a certain level of support. On laptop boards, that support is greatly shortened. Any design change will result in a revision, and that could be from component selection. So, for any given laptop there will be several such revisions. To maintain a team to keep all the firmware up to date is expensive and not often done.

Makes sense when you put a product on a shelf that could sit for a long time and has to interact with other devices. With a laptop, it was working when it was built and there is no issue with not making it compatible with newer equipment. With less incentive and virtually no return they often go unpatched.

So, basically, you can try, but it might not work and you will be out the money.

May 16, 2021
I have asked this question once here already but now I think it's going to work.

Gonna try to keep this short.

I have a Samsung Laptop RC730 SO9DE

Current CPU is i5-2430M

Current dGPU is a GT540M

Have upgraded the GPU already with an external GPU.
Adapter used: GDC EXP V.8.5C
eGPU: GTX 960 4GB
(Everybody here said eGPU wouldn't be possible due to some BIOS <Mod Edit> but hey I proved you wrong)

To the CPU upgrade.
Current CPU is socketed NOT soldered.
I have a already bought an i7-2670QM.
Yes. It's a QM CPU meaning I'll theoretically have 2 cores more than my current dual core.

Rated TDP went up from my current CPU 35 W to new CPU 45 W.

No problem I have already modified the heatsink. Right now on max load (AIDA64) Stresstest 45°C.
I know. Amazing.

My i5 and the new i7 have the same socket type so it should fit. Now I don't know about the chipset have to look that up but I'm fairly certain that it's going to work.

Just want your opinion on this.

With lots of hope
you_succ
Hi. I would like to upgrade the CPU with i7-2670QM, but i am afraid about the temperature. Could you please tell me how you have modified the heatsink.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.