Samsung Releases 2 TB Models For 850 Pro and 850 EVO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arabian Knight

Reputable
Feb 26, 2015
SSD are overpriced.

and I find it strange with all the competition out there , the prices are identical .

it is about time we buy a 2T SSD for $500 and the 1T for $250

The manufacturing cost of SSD are way lower than Mechanical drives. just a board and chips soldered on that board.

Arabian Knight

Reputable
Feb 26, 2015

The Answer : because I needed it .

People who buy stuff only because they can buy it and not for needing it are stupid.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
when you dismantle the drives.....you would find an m.2 drive. just kidding but that is the way to go in terms of performance, better profit for the maker, and cheaper prices eventually versus 2.5" drives.

Vivecss

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013
In around five years when everything is SATA 4.0 and 2TB SSDs cost us around $100, we're going to be saying "Why did I drop a grand on this????"
For bragging rights, of course.

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

Don't forget paying back R&D. If they were just to lower MSRP simply because the end result of how much it is to produce it they would lose money cause R&D is a monster that must be fed. Otherwise it'll eat the company from the inside out. Not to mention they have to line the pockets of their execs.

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

That option hasn't been available since someones usage always is the perfect usage than <insert individual here>. Such is the interwebs.

gamebrigada

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
SSD are overpriced.

and I find it strange with all the competition out there , the prices are identical .

The manufacturing cost of SSD are way lower than Mechanical drives. just a board and chips soldered on that board.

SSD's are expensive because the chips are born on a wafer, and wafers have a very constant price. Prices will go down slowly as the manufacturing process gets smaller.

elite09g8

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
people complained that Samsung didn't have a 2TB SSD, now they can complain about the prices... lets wait for PCIe SSD NVMe to become mainstream and hear how its not available in 4TB capacity for x amount of years then when its released have a repeat of complaints on the prices being to steep.

my advice.. don't buy it then.

dstarr3

Distinguished
Honestly, I've been waiting for this. I'm relieved that I don't have to buy two 1TB SSDs and RAID them together anymore.

...Although maybe I'll buy two 2TB SSDs now and RAID those together instead, just for shits and giggles.

Ariesdragon50

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014
SSD are overpriced.

SSD are overpriced.

Keep in mind that usable silicon per wafer is a major factor in the price. The lower the yield per wafer the higher the price. 100% yield per wafer 100% of the time in very difficult if not impossible.

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

Word. Its $.50 a GB price and its still too much for most. But they do expect new consumer tech to be cheapest upon release.

hannibal

Distinguished
Samsung also have the first 3D nand in market, so they can ask what they want. The competition will help a little bit when others are also coming to 3d nand market. (But not much and not fast...)

Warsaw

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
So nice we have 2TB SSD's now. 1TB was a base level IMO needed for most gamers, but now with 2TB it's what I would say is a recommended amount of space if you game a decent amount and have multiple games loaded with the addition of videos, shows, music, etc. You can now have everything on 1 drive if you prefer. For instance I have a huge amount of both steam games and physical, I can't tell you how many times I run into storage issues with my 256 GB Raided Samsung 840's. Granted it's 512 GB since I ran it as Raid 0 but only have games on it and am full all the time =/. Can't wait until I can buy two of these for around $500 =).

megiv

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
In around five years when everything is SATA 4.0 and 2TB SSDs cost us around $100, we're going to be saying "Why did I drop a grand on this????"

Then again, in 10 years we'll have SATA 5.0 and 2TB SSDs will cost 20$, so we'll look back saying "Why did we drop 100$ on this ???"...Got my point ?

stevenrix

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
At this price point this SSD is not for the masses: not everyone has $1000 to invest,and it is going to add a bigger gap on the top of the line computers.

Arabian Knight

Reputable
Feb 26, 2015

come on lol , for $1000 I can buy a full Blown PC with GTX 970 GPU and Ram ... and i5 CPU .. and those are alot of Chips and yields :)

I still think SSD are overpriced.

Status
Not open for further replies.