Samsung Reveals New Line of Laptops for Gamers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thegame8019

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
Desktop is much better for gaming I don't understand why people buy just laptops for gaming. Use your desktop as your primary gaming machine the only way I could ever see gaming on a laptop is if you want to be able to game on the road, then the convenience factor comes in. But still, get a real machine go buy a desktop.

orionite

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
Not sure I want to be a "Serious Gamer". Seems paradoxical. Also, many people like myself spend a lot of time on the road, and playing on our beefy SLI machines is not an option.
Show some respect and common sense, fellas.

Mobility gaming is nice, when you have to travel and need your gaming fix. Just hope the cooling is up to the task.

Alienware has fallen far compared to what they used to be.

[citation][nom]hetneo[/nom]Something with similar main components is 1800ish bucks from Sager ...[/citation]
Similar isn't always the same. What model(s) Sager were you referring to?

[citation][nom]therabiddeer[/nom]That things gonna have like a 2 hour battery life... max... maybe an hour while gaming.[/citation]
How many models can you name, that are not netbooks, that have over 3hrs of battery life?

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
How many models can you name, that are not netbooks, that have over 3hrs of battery life?

A LOT. Especially those with Optimus or just average GPUs.

Honestly, laptop gaming isn't so bad... I'd MAYBE take a laptop over my desktop because 1) I love LAN parties, and now I can only participate via VPN 2) I travel. And I don't play while travelling but once I arrive. Two months there, a couple of weeks here.. not so often but it comes in handy to have my gaming rig with me. Sadly, in my country they're grossly overpriced and recently I came to adore desktops again... so much stuff to upgrade, swap and have fun with!

So, gaming laptops have their audience and let's face it, they're still PCs and therefore they're more on our side than on the consoles' =) There're a lot of reasons to take a gaming laptop, I won't list them here, but let's have some respect and not flame our fellow PC gamers who chose mobility over upgradeability. Remember, they're still PCs!

However, a good gaming laptop isn't that overpriced. $1700 is maximum. Otherwise might as well go for desktop plus netbook or light Fusion laptop.

koolkat574

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
I built my Sandy Bridge system for less than this laptop...for over $2000, I could have upgraded to a 2600k from a 2500k, added a second GTX580, and a $200 soundcard without sacrificing the other components

G

i have a question I want to be a game designer and do some animation which laptop would you recommend right now i have a mac. I dont play computer games

Status
Not open for further replies.