Samsung Reveals Windows 8 Ultrabook, Hybrid Tablets

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgoods44

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
[citation][nom]yialanliu[/nom]Wow and I thought Apple was overpriced...[/citation]

I don't know... I think high margins are coming back in general, to be honest. If you look at Amazon certain products aren't even cheap anymore. Especially with our obsession with the "new".

ekho

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
If anyone wants quality pieces of any kind of stuffs at a particular timeline he should pay at that moment.
Quality pieces of technology we usually talk about(Computer industry perhaps), like Lenovo ThinkPad series or some sort of Apple products cant be as cheap as the other cheap products although some parts are equal but some people like the feeling of these things and how die-hard they are..., IMO.

G

I cannot believe in this bad economy these tablet makers think these will sell well? After all the PC's have not sold and they have been heavily discounted. How do they expect Windows 8 and new features to change this? I just see a whole lot of discounting going on not too long after October 26th.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
Almost every time I see a product that looks pretty good, I keep thinking over to the Surface Pro. It's got a good keyboard, stylus, core i5, 1080p, and a decent price considering the build. So many almosts! The ASUS convertible is perfect except for the Atom, this is great, but for the price. Of course, it'll come down, but still.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]jescott418[/nom]I cannot believe in this bad economy these tablet makers think these will sell well? After all the PC's have not sold and they have been heavily discounted. How do they expect Windows 8 and new features to change this? I just see a whole lot of discounting going on not too long after October 26th.[/citation]

Heavily discounted my ass. For an i7 2600 with 8GB of RAM, 2TB HDD and a Radeon 6570, it'll set you back $1300 here.

I could build that same machine for what, $824?
That's still a markup of $476, minus shipping, manufacturing other things per machine of roughly $50-100 (probably less since shipped in bulk) and it's still marked up by more than $300.

Hell, I'd be happy to make a cool $50 per machine. If I'm selling thousands of them that adds up.

catswold

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
1366 X 768? Not terribly competitive with the IPad retina display @2048 X 1536.

Granted it's more computer than an IPad and thus far more capable, but I wonder if there will be as big a demand--possibly in businesses, like hospitals, but . . . I don't know . . .

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Seems like Win8 powered devices are marked up. Also, they are using Intel processors instead of Samsung's Exynos processor. Many outside hardware and software coming in. No surprise on the premium price.

Scar89

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
[citation][nom]_Pez_[/nom]No AMD APU? forget it, I'd like to get some graphics horsepower at that price.[/citation]
+1
I am still waiting on a tablet with AMD's new A10 APU to replace my HP TM2T w/C2Duo and AMD 4550.

Yargnit

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
[citation][nom]mcd023[/nom]Almost every time I see a product that looks pretty good, I keep thinking over to the Surface Pro. It's got a good keyboard, stylus, core i5, 1080p, and a decent price considering the build. So many almosts! The ASUS convertible is perfect except for the Atom, this is great, but for the price. Of course, it'll come down, but still.[/citation]

After seeing the Surface RT's pricing today, I'm almost certain the Surface Pro will come in more expensive than we were counting on. With the RT ranging from $500 to $700 I'd be suprised of the Pro was less than $1000, at least for the 128GB option which is basically a necessity running the full Windows OS. Taking into account how much easier the 700T will be to use in laptop mode with a transformer style keyboard as opposed to a smart-cover type, it seems to me much more worth the $200 or less difference we'll likely see compared to the Surface pro.

The lowest I can possibly see the Pro is $800 64GB bare, $900 128GB bare/64GB w/cover, $1000 128GB w/cover, and I would be stunned if they hit that. I would expect $100 to be added to each of those prices, meaning there is only a $100 difference between the Pro 128GB w/cover and the 700t. And that $100 seems very worthwhile for a ~3 month sooner launch and a much better keyboard in laptop mode IMO.

Yargnit

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
[citation][nom]mcd023[/nom]Almost every time I see a product that looks pretty good, I keep thinking over to the Surface Pro. It's got a good keyboard, stylus, core i5, 1080p, and a decent price considering the build. So many almosts! The ASUS convertible is perfect except for the Atom, this is great, but for the price. Of course, it'll come down, but still.[/citation]

After seeing the Surface RT's pricing today, I'm almost certain the Surface Pro will come in more expensive than we were counting on. With the RT ranging from $500 to $700 I'd be suprised of the Pro was less than $1000, at least for the 128GB option which is basically a necessity running the full Windows OS. Taking into account how much easier the 700T will be to use in laptop mode with a transformer style keyboard as opposed to a smart-cover type, it seems to me much more worth the $200 or less difference we'll likely see compared to the Surface pro.

The lowest I can possibly see the Pro is $800 64GB bare, $900 128GB bare/64GB w/cover, $1000 128GB w/cover, and I would be stunned if they hit that. I would expect $100 to be added to each of those prices, meaning there is only a $100 difference between the Pro 128GB w/cover and the 700t. And that $100 seems very worthwhile for a ~3 month sooner launch and a much better keyboard in laptop mode IMO.

[citation][nom]yialanliu[/nom]Wow and I thought Apple was overpriced...[/citation]
The $1200 model isn't a tablet like the iPad. It's a PC in tablet form factor. The CPU will run circles around any iOS or Android device, it has 4 GB of RAM, and the 128 GB SSD is probably on SATA3 with ~500 MB/s transfer rates.

For a PC it seems overpriced too. But keep in mind it's been shoved into a tablet form factor which weighs less than 2 lbs. I'm possibly in the market for one because I've gotten sick of waiting for regular tablet makers to come out with bigger screens. There are some applications where you simply cannot move the screen closer to your eyes (displaying sheet music in my case), and the tiny 10" screens are simply inadequate. 11.6" is borderline (I used to use a 12.1" tablet PC, which was small but acceptable).

[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Heavily discounted my ass. For an i7 2600 with 8GB of RAM, 2TB HDD and a Radeon 6570, it'll set you back $1300 here.I could build that same machine for what, $824?That's still a markup of $476, minus shipping, manufacturing other things per machine of roughly $50-100 (probably less since shipped in bulk) and it's still marked up by more than $300.Hell, I'd be happy to make a cool $50 per machine. If I'm selling thousands of them that adds up.[/citation]
If you ever start a business expecting to survive on 5% margins, good luck! 10% is a more realistic minimum, and the average for all industries is around 15%. There are a few industries which have margins smaller than 10%, but they're usually oversupplied, extremely competitive, or in contraction (e.g. the hard drive industry which saw all the manufacturers merge into Seagate, WD, and Toshiba because of the extremely thin margins).

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
With Windows 8, these hybrid computers are the way to go really. It gives you the tablet function that Win 8 is primarily designed for, yet you still have the keyboard when you need/want it. As long as it's decently powered, (not using Atom and has more than 2 gigs of RAM)

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
The big question is will businesses accept these and Windows 8? I'm guessing no. The concept is cool, but if manufacturers and MS can't convince consumers to buy it, well it's downhill from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS