Question Samsung RU8000 TV, I can't get Gsync/Freesync to work, any help?

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Win10 64 w/ all updates, including feature ones. GTX 1080ti and NVidia 441.41 drivers, Samsung 1335 firmware. I can’t get the NVidia Control Panel to show me the GSync options at any resolution. I have Game Mode turned on for the TV, as well as Freesync. I have tried Freesync Basic and Ultimate. I’m also using HDMI 1. Should I be using 4? I couldn’t find any info on that either.
I want to point the finger at my computer seeing it only as a Samsung display, and the Device Manager is showing Generic PNP Monitor. Any advice in any of this?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
no worries. What GPU and TV do you have? I keep reading different articles and posts about what is supported and what is not. I just found yet another one that says it is only the 16 series and up from NVidia that does Freesync over HDMI.

UN55RU and a 1080.

TBH I would have to go check to be sure it's actually doing "sync" as well. In my case what I recall was that the TV was locked to 60hz @1080p until I did the update. I think after that I may have just set my cap at the 120? I don't try to game on it at 4K.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
UN55RU and a 1080.

TBH I would have to go check to be sure it's actually doing "sync" as well. In my case what I recall was that the TV was locked to 60hz @1080p until I did the update. I think after that I may have just set my cap at the 120? I don't try to game on it at 4K.
yea, I picked up three of those on Black Friday. There's been two firmware updates since then, no GPU driver updates, but I do have the latest.

I'm chatting with someone from NVidia's chat thing on their site and it's obviously outsourced to India and they have no clue about NVidia now supporting Freesync since January.

Reactions: punkncat

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Yea, I've been chatting and arguing with NVidia tech support for the past hour - it's obviously outsourced to some group in India that does NOT know enough. It is messed up that I can't find a direct answer from NVidia, or coraborate that article.

When NVidia opened up to Freesync, it was for the 10 series and up. But only Display Port. Now they have opened up to HDMI, but I can't find any verification on WHAT series is supported.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yea, I've been chatting and arguing with NVidia tech support for the past hour - it's obviously outsourced to some group in India that does NOT know enough. It is messed up that I can't find a direct answer from NVidia, or coraborate that article.

When NVidia opened up to Freesync, it was for the 10 series and up. But only Display Port. Now they have opened up to HDMI, but I can't find any verification on WHAT series is supported.

Do let us know if you confirm anything different than the article states.
I haven't had a chance to go look yet, but from I recall the Freesync option isn't able to be highlighted or didn't work...it's been a minute since I tried again.

I have been very happy with my TV purchase, had it several months now. I utilized some recommended settings I found on RTINGS to make it appear more natural to me. I don't use game mode or the "enhanced" color features.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008

doesn't talk about my TV, but does talk about what series over HDMI.
if that's the case, it is literally a driver thing since the 10 series and the 20 series both use the same HDMI version

Last edited: