Samsung S2 - 320GB USB 2.0 Portable Hard Drive slow writing speed

Narol

Commendable
Sep 27, 2016
i have this hard drive
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-S2-320GB-Portable-Drive/dp/B001IBI08Y/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_sims?ie=UTF8

its been about 2 years and the hard work fine with writing speed 40 ~35 MB/s

now when i send file from the Samsung S2 to my pc hhd the speed is 41 MB/s

Samsung S2 -> pc hhd to fast

pc hhd --> Samsung S2 to slow

when i send file from hhd to Samsung S2 speed 600 KB/s to 4 MB/s

149082357881321.png

149082488972381.png

149082488983082.png

I did try it too in my gaming laptop and its the same

some times and thats happen rarely its goes up from 4~3 MB/s to 41 MB/s pc hhd --> Samsung S2

i dont know why thats happened i try delete volume and reinstall format no thing work

Hello... Yes... through a USB2 connection 40 MB/s is typical... I also find large files sizes can crawl or slow down the transfer too.. that is why you should use a faster communication hardware for DATA transfer... USB2 sucks for this purpose... there are no fixes I found, just went to Firewire and ESATA for that purpose. B /

Narol

Commendable
Sep 27, 2016

iam ok with 41 MB/s but the problem is its always 600 KB/s to 4 MB/s when try to put any thing into Samsung S2
that wasn't the case before ( before from and to is same speed now out write 41 mb/s and in write 4 mb/s )
sry for my bad english

Hello... Since your post I am backing up my personal work at the moment with a USB/Sata connection (3rd backup location)... (thx for the inspiration) I'm only getting 26 MB/s write with typical wave files and >1 GB folders. B / gets the JOB done... but my Firewire and Esata blow this away every time.

Basically USB2 is not bi-directional communications... there are other solutions that are and it makes a BIG difference... you have entry level Data transfer communication... and you finding out it is not consistent and slow... like everybody else. B /

If you want/have professional speed needs... you have to get the hardware for it... check out a ESATA card/Dock/Box... or dismount that drive in that USB enclosure and just plug directly into the MB. B /

You also have other devices connected to the USB buss... The OS give them a turn to communicate too, and sets a priority for whose turn it is... a fast DATA transfer should be on it's own lane/wire/priority of transfer... the OS and SATA buss does a great Job of it... B )

Narol

Commendable
Sep 27, 2016
i just want my Samsung S2 to work as before i used to get 40 mb/s write and read
now its rare when the write speed get 40 mb/s its most of the time 700 kb/s to 2 mb/s its too slow
what should i try (XD dont say buy another hhd cuz i cant now )