Samsung S23A700D for gaming?

nafoni

Honorable
May 18, 2012
Hey there.

I have recently been searching the web like a maniac trying to find a good monitor for my PC.
For a while I was looking a lot at the ASUS VE247H and VE248H, but then I found out that many of these monitors had ghosting issues (yes, both are still an alternative).

After browsing some of the websites we have here in Norway, I found this Samsung S23A700D monitor going for just a slightly higher price than the two ASUS monitors. Is this a good monitor? I use my computer mostly for gaming, but also browsing the internet, watching YouTube videos and all the other «normal» stuff.
More information below.

PC specs
CPU:i5-3570K @ stock
GPU: EVGA GTX 670 @ stock (GPU boost auto-overclocking)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB

Monitor requirements
Screen size: 23-25"
Resolution: 1920x1080+
Refresh rate: 60Hz, preferably 120Hz
Response time: 2ms
3D: no
Input: HDMI x1
Speakers: no
Price: <2000 NOK (=335$). Norway is an expensive country.

The Samsung monitor costs 1790 NOK, meets all my requirements, and also has 3D. I'm struggling to find a monitor with the same specs and without 3D for the same price, so this monitor seems «too good to be true for me». However, the ten user reviews on the site I will be buying the monitor from scores an average of 4.5/5 stars.

Again, I have also been looking at the ASUS VE247H and VE248H, but I read these had major ghosting problems (I am also reading this can be fixed easily, especially on newer models). If anyone has other monitor suggestions, please post them!

And my main question: is this Samsung monitor good?

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
I have a BenQ XL2410T and i can say that it is awesome for 3D gaming, and works perfecly for 2D 120hz gaming also, so i would strongly adive you checking over the benQ XL24020T that already uses 3D Vision 2 Lightboost causing much less ghosting over the other 3D Vision products, it will work very well on your 670.

EDIT: be aware that if you are looking over for 120hz 1080p displays HDMI will not working, only Dual Link DVI do the job.

nafoni

Honorable
May 18, 2012
Yep, I looked at that monitor, but it was quite a bit more expensive.

Got the Sammy monitor now, and I am very happy with it so far. Think I will stick with it. If not, I will return it and get that BenQ monitor.

And yes, I know about that DVI thing for 120Hz. 120Hz is working fine.

Which programs can I use to test the monitor for any ghosting or other issues?