Samsung S7 Not Recognized by Win10

Jun 29, 2018
I hope this is the right forum section for this issue.

My Samsung S7 is full of photos and video, and I want to transfer them to my PC to free up space. When I connect via USB, the phone charges, I can switch modes between files/photos/etc. on the phone itself, but Windows is saying "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)".

I have tried different devices in different ports, 2.0 and 3.0, many permutations, and it's not a hardware issue. The S7 reacts the same way in all 2.0 and 3.0 ports. Other devices work fine as well.

So it's a driver issue. I've scanned the USB hub for driver updates, downloaded drivers from the Samsung website, but nothing changes. Windows Troubleshooter is as useless as ever.

I've tried both SmartSwitch and Kies. Kies was last updated in 2013, and SmartSwitch won't start, because my PC isn't recognizing my S7.

Internet solutions and videos have been fruitless so far. I changed the USB Selective Suspend Setting, and I've unchecked "Turn on fast startup (recommended)" as one of the articles suggested. Nothing.

I can't remember being this frustrated by something that should be so simple. I guess I'll try a different avenue to transfer the files to the cloud or my PC wirelessly, but I shouldn't have to.

If anyone has had a similar issue, and/or a suggestion to help me, I would appreciate your input.

Thanks a bunch.

Jun 29, 2018
Turns out the USB cable, even though it was transferring power just fine, was not able to transmit data.

Samsung tech support guy asked me to try another cable, I facepalmed as it instantly solved it.

Thanks for your reply as well.