Status
Not open for further replies.

qnoppers

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
Hi guys,
I have a 27" Samsung SA550 monitor that worked fine with my Lenovo laptop until a couple of weeks ago, when suddenly the signal disappeared. There is simply a black screen. If I connect it to me laptop (via VGA), it seems to look for a signal, displaying first a box with "HDMI" and then it quickly flashes "Analogue" before it goes black. If it isn't connected to the laptop it displays "HDMI", then "Analogue" (for a longer time) and then shows a box that says "Check signal cable - HDMI" that floats around the screen.

It doesn't respond to my clicking the menu or auto buttons on the monitor's frame, but it does power on/off and can switch between display type (just doesn't help any).

It seems like it actually finds a signal, but just doesn't show anything when it is connected. It also blinks a bit during boot up if it is connected.

I've tried connecting it to another laptop with which it has worked previously, and I've tried changing VGA cables.

I haven't checked with an HDMI cable yet, as I don't have an HDMI cable nearby, and neither of the computers have HDMI ports. I will try in a couple of days, though (still, laptops I want to use do not have HDMI).

As I said, it has worked with both laptops before, and I haven't the slightest idea as to why it stopped.

Any help appreciated!

jaesik23

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012

I had the same issue, I updated the firmware from Samsung's website and that fixed the issue. I know your probably thinking firmware for a monitor... yea right.. thats exactly what i thought but it works. I used an hdmi cable to update the firmware im not sure if vga works or not! Good luck im curious if this fixes it for you

here is the link on samsung website, verify that is the correct monitor

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/S27A550H

qnoppers

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
Thanks for the reply!

I had a chance to check if the monitor worked with an HDMI cable, but that didn't produce a picture. Monitor didn't seem to notice that it was plugged in to an HDMI port.

I already tried updating the firmware through the VGA cable, but that didn't seem to change anything.

I will try updating it through an HDMI cable thursday and see how that goes. I am not that optimistic though :)

Cheers

4jbkorz

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
I have the same exact problem. Did qnoppers ever find the resolution to the problem?

thanks

qnoppers

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
Unfortunately I never did. It was actually a work monitor, and I think they ended up sending it back for repair and got a replacement. I never did try updating via a HDMI cable, though. It was a bit too much of a hassle for me because I had to supply both an HDMI compatible computer and cable. But there didn't seem to be any difference between connecting via HDMI or VGA when I tried that, so I suspect it would not have worked anyway.

Hope you have more luck than me :)

BioTeckna

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
Hi, I have exactly the same problem than you and I have any solutions :( The screen justed stopped finding a video source in one day.
Yesterday, I was playing Tomb Raider and it was great, and today I started my PC and the screen just boot, select analog source (VGA as usual) and shows black aand nothing :(
My PC is working on a TV, a other screen but not on the Samsung SA550. The screen only have 2 years.

I think I am going to buy a new one.

dragonflycs

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013
I had the same problem sent it back to repair depot and they fixed it under warranty saying it was the firmware. seems to be working fine at the moment

CSI_Sac

Honorable
Jun 14, 2013
Thanks for posting your question and answers to the SA550 display issues. I had the same problem 'qnoppers' stated. After I hooked up another monitor, I found it was interesting that my graphics card recognized both monitors and was behaving as though the SA550 had no issues, but I still didn't have a picture on the SA550.
After reading the review about the firmware, I left the SA550 plugged in with a HDMI cable, went to the website link, downloaded the firmware update, then ran it with both monitors connected.
The firmware update loaded successfully and now I have my monitor back!!! Thanks guys! Don't trash your existing monitor because it still should work!!! Mine is also nearly 2 years old. They have a 3 year warranty.

skierdave

Honorable
Jun 17, 2013
I had the exact same problem. I connected to a laptop, switched the monitor to analog so I had a blank screen and downloaded the firmware from the link listed above. Worked like a charm, monitor is back as are all function keys (Menu, ECO, Auto, etc). Very odd that it worked fine previously, does anyone have an idea what the firmware fixes?

daverohm

Honorable
Nov 13, 2013
jaesik23 !!! you rock!!! this worked!!! I love you interweb!!! This monitor was in the trash and was acting like it had a concussion. Now its looking perfect! I now have a 27" Samsung monitor! good god this thing is big! i'm going to look for more to rescue!

jaesik23 wrote this as the solution....

I had the same issue, I updated the firmware from Samsung's website and that fixed the issue. I know your probably thinking firmware for a monitor... yea right.. thats exactly what i thought but it works. I used an hdmi cable to update the firmware im not sure if vga works or not! Good luck im curious if this fixes it for you

here is the link on samsung website, verify that is the correct monitor

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/S27A550H[/quotemsg]

Fcmoore

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013

Same problem happened to me - working when I left at night and blank the next morning. Using a laptop I followed solution to update the firmware and using VGA cables completed the update.

Status
Not open for further replies.