Hiijinx

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Hello all,

I just today received my eagerly anticipated Samsung SA750d
but have been hit with nothing but problems.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=MO-165-SA

I cannot get it to work on the DP which is the whole point of this monitor, I did not buy this for 60hz. If I try to connect it via the DP the screen will flicker horribly and constantly, and I mean constantly (every second or so) turn black and back again leaving me unable to do anything with it. It is only stable at some ridiculously low 576p - and then only at 60hz, anymore and back to black it goes. I am lucky I had another monitor to switch to my main as I could not do anything on it. Have had a displayport link failure warning twice.

HDMI is works fine ... at 60hz.

I researched for weeks on monitors and only bought this over the Benq at the last minute due to its HIGH reviews and quality. I did not see a single bad/problematic review... until now.

Drivers/Firmware up to date, which is the only glimmer of hope google has given me thus far. Do I have any chance and/or where do I stand with OcUk on this?

2500k @ 4.6
Asrock z68 Extreme 7 Gen 3
8GB Corsair Vengeance
2x 6990CF
1200W

I'd guess that was a faulty cable of monitor. Testing it on another system would be the first thing I'd do. With many of the DP to DL-DVI cables out there, that is a common problem, though not normally as severe as that.

Hiijinx

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Thanks for the idea Bystander - I ordered a different cable and it works :) Never would have guessed a cable could go "wrong".

Heres a comparison of the two screens;
On the left the new Samsung S27a650d 120hz 1080p
And on the right my old Dell 2407WFP 60hz 1200p

P1020421.jpg

Considering the Samsung has the inferior TN panel compared to the Dell (which it does fall behind on with side views), I actually prefer the image quality on the Samsung. Both are at default settings.

Hiijinx

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
One slight issue perhaps, is it normal for GPU usage (in this case crossfire scaling) to change once in 120hz? In BF3 my scaling was identical on each gpu, in 120hz it seems to rely on 2 gpus much heavier whilst only touching the remaining 2 (15%, 85%, 85% 15%). FPS seems largely unchanged however.

That's odd, but I have no idea. The only difference in their usage would be how often it sends the info from the monitors frame buffer, to the monitor.

Awesome! That picture reminds me of my upgrade to my 120hz monitor. The quality difference between it and my old Samsung and LG monitors, was huge. In your case, even more impressive, as its being compared to an IPS monitor (I assume that was what it was by your comments). I wonder if the quality difference is a result of technology improvements, or the older monitor losing quality over time. Maybe it's the matte vs glossy screen in your case.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy 120hz. I do, as well as 3D.

sk1939

Distinguished

His comparison demonstrates a couple things; matte vs glossy, IPS vs MVA, and old vs new. The thing you have to remember about the Dell screen is that it has a lot of hours on the backlight (it is around 6 years old after all), and the fluorescent back lights do tend to grow dim with age.

As far as the GPU issue, that is relatively normal behavior as the cards to not necessarily "load balance" across the crossfire link, it will rely on one card for frame buffering and rendering, and use the other to process the rest. The other thing to remember is that in some cases CrossFire doesn't improve 3D performance, and it can actually lower the framerate due to the particulars of a games coding.

Isn't that IPS vs TN? That Samsung is a 120hz TN panel.

sk1939

Distinguished

Nope. According to Samsung that particular model is an MVA panel (if it's the 27A650D).

Heres a comparison of the two screens;
On the left the new Samsung S27a650d 120hz 1080p
And on the right my old Dell 2407WFP 60hz 1200p

However, if the OP had an oops/typo moment, and it's the S27A750D, then your right, it's an IPS vs TN (TN is faster ofc).

The OP listed his monitor as a 750D at the top. It is 120hz, it is TN.

This isn't the first time people have liked that monitors appears over IPS monitors by comments from users on other forums, though I think it could be a matter of age, matte vs glossy, and brightness. I have a 3D 120hz monitor, and it is designed to be very bright. I set it to 30% for normal use, though it's at 100% in 3D games.

TRENDING THREADS