Samsung Settles With Rambus for $900 Million

Status
Not open for further replies.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]popaholic[/nom]Another victory for RamBus; now if they ever make a new product, they are well funded for at least 5 years.[/citation]
What new product?
Their business model is clearly defined as "patent troll"

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
As long as I don't have another option for choosing a mobo, video card, and so on, ill be ok. Now if they come out with DDR4 and DDR5 I'm all for that. Just make DDR3 PC16000 go down for goodness sake. JMO

aletoil

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
Rambus the the ultimate compilation of hustlers:Grab patents, sue enough to survive another few years. Rinse and repeat.

siuol11

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
While I'm no fan of Rambus, do most of you know how technology companies work? The smaller ones rarely make a complete product, they make minor enhancements to existing IP. Usually they get bought up, but often times bigger companies will simply use those enhancements without paying. This prohibits innovation... As much of it comes from from these smaller companies.
A good example (although not having anything to do with computers) is the guy who invented the intermittent wiper. He developed a small improvement in a large, complex machine. Should he have created a whole new car to implement this new technology? I'm going to say no... But it was a legitimate addition to existing IP (cars), and he deserved to be compensated for it.
Now Rambus is a bit unusual, as they do occasionally make physical products, but their main source of revenue is the research they do to create better RAM products... I think (as many others do) that they try to charge way to much for their IP, but to say they don't add anything or create anything is an ignorant statement.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
Rambus doesn't even do that much, siuol11. Their business model is to patent the things discussed in JEDEC meetings, remember?

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
Has RAMBUS done any actual business in the past 5+ years? All I know of them, besides all their damn lawsuits, is that they made RDRam for some P4 platforms years ago and it never caught on cuz of the ridiculous prices for their license/ram

siuol11

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Yes, Rambus has done business. What they do isn't normally covered by tech rags though- so much of the nitty-gritty of the tech world isn't. If you want a more in-depth view of how stuff works in the tech world, read sites like semiaccurate.com. Places like Tom's are really glorified press release aggregates.

razorblaze42

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
[citation][nom]siuol11[/nom]Yes, Rambus has done business. What they do isn't normally covered by tech rags though- so much of the nitty-gritty of the tech world isn't. If you want a more in-depth view of how stuff works in the tech world, read sites like semiaccurate.com. Places like Tom's are really glorified press release aggregates.[/citation]
Did you say semiaccurate? That site blows chunks. At Semi accurate any dissent from the NVidia hating party line is quickly ran roughshod over, and put down like a rabid dog, the offender expeditiously banned from further post and the entire unsightly blemish removed from the site. While I enjoy a juicy rumor as well as the next patron of a hair solon, I don’t want to navigate the Gestapo to hear them. Do yourself a favor and steer clear of semiaccurate.

siuol11

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Fanboyism is the curse of tech rags left and right, I don't see any less of it on this site... And I actually trust Charlie to keep his facts straight and not put out whatever corporate line PR wants him to.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]siuol11[/nom]but to say they don't add anything or create anything is an ignorant statement.[/citation]
What was the last actual product released by Rambus?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rambus
I can see that XDR is used in the PS3, but exactly how much of that technology was siphoned away from the JEDEC meetings then patented in bad faith?

Status
Not open for further replies.