Samsung SGH X427 real tones - how to make your own!

This doesn't seem to be documented anywhere, so here goes. The Samsung
SGH x427 supports only the SMAF format for "real tones". SMAF is a
digital audio format created by Yamaha, it's popular in Japan. Good
news is that you don't have to pay anything to get the tools needed to
convert WAV files to SMAF format.

Go here:
http://smaf-yamaha.com/tools/index.html

You can download a .WAV to .MMF (SMAF) converter tool for free.

To deploy into the phone:

1. The file extenshion must be .MMF
2. The .MMF file can be no larger than 41k (41k approx 10 second clip)
3. If you're running your own webserver, make sure the MIME type for
MMF is set as follows: application/vnd.smaf

I use Vegas 4 to edit my Wave files, it's quite expensive but very
robust (probably the best desktop video/audio editing software for the
money). Anything that lets you clip away audio will work just fine
(PRO TOOLS FREE, COOL Edit, etc...)

-Jeremy

ME

jeremy@pdq.net (JDeats) wrote in

> This doesn't seem to be documented anywhere, so here goes. The Samsung
> SGH x427 supports only the SMAF format for "real tones". SMAF is a
> digital audio format created by Yamaha, it's popular in Japan. Good
> news is that you don't have to pay anything to get the tools needed to
> convert WAV files to SMAF format.
>
> Go here:
> http://smaf-yamaha.com/tools/index.html
>
> You can download a .WAV to .MMF (SMAF) converter tool for free.
>
> To deploy into the phone:
>
> 1. The file extenshion must be .MMF
> 2. The .MMF file can be no larger than 41k (41k approx 10 second clip)
> 3. If you're running your own webserver, make sure the MIME type for
> MMF is set as follows: application/vnd.smaf
>
> I use Vegas 4 to edit my Wave files, it's quite expensive but very
> robust (probably the best desktop video/audio editing software for the
> money). Anything that lets you clip away audio will work just fine
> (PRO TOOLS FREE, COOL Edit, etc...)
>
> -Jeremy

Thanks for posting this but how do I get the files into the phone once I
have converted them and uploaded them to my web server?

In article <g0mFc.3091$vk5.2935@bignews3.bellsouth.net>, me <me@no.no>
wrote:

> jeremy@pdq.net (JDeats) wrote in
>
> > This doesn't seem to be documented anywhere, so here goes. The Samsung
> > SGH x427 supports only the SMAF format for "real tones". SMAF is a
> > digital audio format created by Yamaha, it's popular in Japan. Good
> > news is that you don't have to pay anything to get the tools needed to
> > convert WAV files to SMAF format.
> >
> > Go here:
> > http://smaf-yamaha.com/tools/index.html
> >
> > You can download a .WAV to .MMF (SMAF) converter tool for free.
> >
> > To deploy into the phone:
> >
> > 1. The file extenshion must be .MMF
> > 2. The .MMF file can be no larger than 41k (41k approx 10 second clip)
> > 3. If you're running your own webserver, make sure the MIME type for
> > MMF is set as follows: application/vnd.smaf
> >
> > I use Vegas 4 to edit my Wave files, it's quite expensive but very
> > robust (probably the best desktop video/audio editing software for the
> > money). Anything that lets you clip away audio will work just fine
> > (PRO TOOLS FREE, COOL Edit, etc...)
> >
> > -Jeremy
>
> Thanks for posting this but how do I get the files into the phone once I
> have converted them and uploaded them to my web server?

I just did one successfully on the first try using www.tagtag.com. I
just made the file, uploaded it there, navigated to their website on the
phone, then entered the code for my ringtone as listed in the "My
Ringtones" section, and it downloaded to the phone. You do have to
register, but it's free.

-Brian