Samsung Shows HDDs with 1 TB Per Platter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catzwisker

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
I never cease to be amazed at the lack of proofing on articles I see on the internet.
Is a grade school kid writing these articles?

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
[citation][nom]joz[/nom]Can that thing even store diablo 2?[/citation]
Only if you do a light install, and read videos form the disk.

I'm personally interested in building a cheap 10 drive RAID5, using 1TB single platter drives.

applegetsmelaid

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
I remember seeing an advertisement for CompUSA back in 1999 for a 30 GB HDD: "The last hard drive you'll ever have to buy." Back then I thought, "30GB! No one will EVER need that much space." Now I average 20GB of HDD activity PER DAY! Not much compared to some uber-geeks, but I do process good amounts of data.

kilo_17

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
[citation][nom]Haserath[/nom]I can't believe a HD could be able to hold 10GB, technology is moving so fast...hey, wait a minute.[/citation]
haha

G

I remember my first HDD, it could store up to 40 MB of data. I needed to run a special software tool to see more than 32 MB of the drives storage.
My first PC ran off of floppies, no hard drive at all.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
there is only so far that magnetic technology can go and still be trusted.

to be perfectly honest here, i can see a point in time where we no longer have traditional mass size hard drives. im thinking it will happen around the time of holographic discs. a 200gb disc, bought for pennys on the gb (possibly disc), highly expandable, will be used for the long term, i dont need it now storage, and an ssd of 1-2tb will be used.

im looking at things in a realistic manner. there is a limit to how big a video can be before we cant distinguish detail anymore. i believe that for home purposes it will be a 4k standard, possibly a bit bigger. but for most people, the only way that you could see that detail is on a 100inch+ tv, and when was that last time you seen that for a commonly affordable price?

i have to say that at some point, like now, 12mp is all we need for photos, what most people want is better optics.

we dont need more than 1080p because we can barely see the extra detail because of how our eyes work, unless you blow the image way the hell up.

we hit close to the peak of what we need now, all thats left is refining it.

TheDane

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
alidan: I agree - except on the 12mp part for cameras. More resolution allows you to crop more (though it requires better glas of course :)).

[citation][nom]aznshinobi[/nom]F6!!![/citation]Did I turn you into a Samsung Spinpoint Fanboy? I do want a couple F6's though. My Samsung F3 Array needs optimizing and I can't adjust it until I have drives to dump the data to.

yes leading the way....bullcrap! their hard drives are so unreliable it cancels out the fact that they can do this. People usually keep a hard drive for more than a year. Samsung need to realise this and make them last longer than that. Would never buy a Samsung hard drive.

slothy89

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]*snip* im looking at things in a realistic manner. there is a limit to how big a video can be before we cant distinguish detail anymore. i believe that for home purposes it will be a 4k standard, possibly a bit bigger. but for most people, the only way that you could see that detail is on a 100inch+ tv, and when was that last time you seen that for a commonly affordable price? *snip*[/citation]hmm.. someone hasnt heard of a little thing called a Projector.. 1080p isnt enough for a projector if you make it big enough ;) lol.. Oh and HD Projectors aren't all that much more than a 60" TV

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
I'm afraid I'm not impressed with a TB per year as the growth rate of mag storage. SSDs are nipping at their heels already with capacities and are far superior in transfer speeds and reliability as well. The only thing that could keep magnetic storage relevant in a few years is a HUGE ramp in capacity brought by optical assistance, because the prices of flash chips will come down year by year. They can't get larger drives out soon enough.

We all remember the days when we went out and got a new drive and it was ridiculously larger than what we had, and we thought "I'll never fill this" and then as tech improved, we filled it. Nowadays, if you have a lot of HD media, a few TB is spare change when it comes to space. If they don't put a real breakthrough out onto the market, people will be forced to stream rather than rely on local media, it's already coming into play.

someonewhoknowsalittle

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
"We...are told that the currently believed limit may be somewhere close to 10 GB per HDD."

You mean 10 TB per HDD, I think. I am waiting for a 50 YB (yottabyte) HDD before I upgrade. Should be in 3q 2011 according to Charlie Shean.

G

I dream that they remanufacture 5"1/4 units again. Platters would be 2/3 TB, and it would make easily 10Tb units.

If this is for raw storage and not performance, why wouldn't this make sense ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS