Samsung SM961 M.2 NVMe boot problems

Violet915

Honorable
Jun 15, 2014
Hi folks, got a bit of a funky issue here that either my newbiness with M.2's is not understanding, or I really should just RMA this SSD crap and buy an Evo 900 series that actually has official Samsung drivers.

This issue began triggering after the installation of Windows 10 Creator's Update which has messed up my PC in all kinds of ways since. I did a reformat via. USB 5 hours ago and assumed it would solve the issue since I was unable to rollback the driver. Basically what's happening is, every 2 reboots of my PC (regardless if it's a Shut Down or Restart), causes an 00xc000000e error which states my OS hard drive is inaccessible or corrupt. It's obviously not inaccessible because I can boot to windows with MUCH struggle every restart or so, and it's obviously not corrupt else I wouldn't be typing this request for assistance right now.

So, after digging around for information on the problem and any form of a driver or support for the SM961 M.2 NVMe that my OS is installed on, the only assistance I got from my manufacturer is a BIOS update released this month that added some kind of support for this M.2 SSD, I forget the official notes. Here's my specifications so you can see what I am running:

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX X99 GAMING
BIOS Version: 1701 (I don't believe this is the problem either, as it was occuring before the BIOS update as well)

Many solutions have been found for the Samsung EVO series by fiddling with the boot manager and priorities. So I looked to this obvious solution first. I tried disabling CSM, setting it to Auto, but so far it only works with it Enabled and I still have to use F8 to manually Override the boot priority.

I next tried fiddling with PCH Storage Configuration, and interestingly enough there's no S.M.A.R.T information on my NVMe. This SSD was released as an OEM so Samsung has no official support for it. There are also no drivers I am aware of, tried looking. Samsung Magician recognises it but will not give any information either. My BIOS does not store any information on the drive's size or settings, only the model number is visible. Here's some screenshots of my BIOS.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw8IDGfaSB9AbGcyTzhfV...

As you can see I've fiddled with Boot Priorities (The OS in question is #4 SAMSUNG MZVPW256HEGL-00000), and if I so much as move this from 4 and set it to #1, Windows will do two things: A) BSOD me with 00xc000000e OR it will boot into the BIOS and not read the SSD or detect it at all.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw8IDGfaSB9ATWtBNXNqR...

This is what I have to do in order to get my Windows booted up, and even then it doesn't always work.

I am seriously moments away from sending this pile of crap back to the store and buying a proper official Samsung EVO with drivers that should take care of this problem. >.> So hopefully somebody here can help me.

I have installed the SSD to the PCI express slot on my motherboard https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw8IDGfaSB9AOGU2cUtjW... <-- This area of the board. My OS was recently formatted onto it with a clean install as well. I am not sure if I should have formatted it to GPT before installing? I have no idea how to solve this issue, and I have seen people with something similar but they seem to be blessed with a BIOS that is not as silly as ASUS ROG.

UPDATE 5th June 2017
------------------------------

Spent 1 hour trying to make my windows boot today, every attempt caused my windows to boot straight into the BIOS. After another optimized defaults reset, my PC rebooted again and this time it failed to reach POST with a motherboard Q-Code of 6F. Looking this up, it was related to memory modules. So I hit my Motherboar'ds MEMOK button and it then boots my PC into BIOS again, afterwards letting my windows boot automatically as well. This issue worries me, I am now uncertain if the problem is related to memory OR my SSD.

Violet915

Honorable
Jun 15, 2014

Wow... i cannot believe I missed that, thank you so much for this. The PCPartPicker i used to build this rig said it was compatible :/ too late to send in an RMA or refund now, guess i'll just have to eBay this 961.

Violet915

Honorable
Jun 15, 2014

This is strange however, considering these are the patch notes of BIOS version 1504 for my motherboard:

STRIX X99 GAMING BIOS 1504
1.Improve system performance
2.Add in turn-off function of LED under S3/S4/S5 status.
3.Fixed Samsung device (SM961, printer) issues

From ASUS website specifically. https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-X99-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/

Violet915

Honorable
Jun 15, 2014
Alright it looks like the 950 Pro is the best option, very pricey however. Stupid question but im not taking any risks again because i've already lost enough money on this upgrade - Does it make a difference between 950 512GB or 256GB?

Before you run out and purchase another SSD let me suggest that it would be wise for you to check with ASUS whether there is some incompatibility re using the Samsung SM961 M.2 NVMe SSD you currently own.

These manufacturer's "Qualified Vendors List" for devices are FREQUENTLY hopelessly out-of-date and too often include incorrect information at the current time. We've run into that problem time & time again over the years. Frankly, I find it difficult that your current Samsung SSD is incompatible with the ASUS ROG STRIX X99 GAMING board at this late date. It's possible, of course, but check it out before investing any more money in new components.

While I haven't worked with that board myself I'm aware from reports that it's had its share of problems; hopefully resolved by BIOS updates. In any event do check with ASUS tech support re this issue together with the problems you've raised in your posts.

Violet915

Honorable
Jun 15, 2014

I just spoke to an Asus live support tech and he says the model is incompatible.but probably on the untested list. Im going to try and revert my bios back to 1401 when it worked before the windows 10 creators update ruined it all. Maybe ill get lucky and they will release support in the future.

I think that's the wise course of action at this point. I'm aware of quite a few reports re the recent Windows Creators Update for Win 10 creating havoc in some systems. We haven't run into that problem, either personally with a few of our systems or any other problems by members of a computer club I'm associated with who recently installed that update. But *!#( happens, as we all too well know. Good luck.