[SOLVED] Samsung Smart TV getting slow(er) download speed on speed test

JCarax

Honorable
Dec 21, 2016
Hi,

I recently upgraded to 100mbit fiber. Fiber comes with a default Router given by my ISP(Turk Telekom) Tp-Link 1200 AC Archer C5v.
Both my PC and my Smart TV(samsung 55q60rat 55") are connected via ethernet cables.

When I run the speed test from my PC, I get around 110-120 mbps. But my samsung smart TV gets like 70-80 max. I tried the speed test on both dslreports and speedtest.net and got the same results.
I'm wondering if the smart tv has like a bandwith limit or the modem's config files have some sort of a default speed limit set on lan ports or maybe a smart QOS that limits the smart TV.

I'm not familiar with the interface of this product(and sadly it seems like it is a Turkey specific model) so I haven't been able to figure it out.

Solution
Hi,

I recently upgraded to 100mbit fiber. Fiber comes with a default Router given by my ISP(Turk Telekom) Tp-Link 1200 AC Archer C5v.
Both my PC and my Smart TV(samsung 55q60rat 55") are connected via ethernet cables.

When I run the speed test from my PC, I get around 110-120 mbps. But my samsung smart TV gets like 70-80 max. I tried the speed test on both dslreports and speedtest.net and got the same results.
I'm wondering if the smart tv has like a bandwith limit or the modem's config files have some sort of a default speed limit set on lan ports or maybe a smart QOS that limits the smart TV.

I'm not familiar with the interface of this product(and sadly it seems like it is a Turkey specific model) so I haven't been able to...

kanewolf

Titan
Hi,

I'm not familiar with the interface of this product(and sadly it seems like it is a Turkey specific model) so I haven't been able to figure it out.
TVs only have 100Mbit wired interfaces. It will max at 90. Eighty Mbit is perfectly normal.

Reactions: JCarax
Solution

JCarax

Honorable
Dec 21, 2016
hi, its a TV, 50Mbit is plenty enough to watch 4K @ 60Hz without dropin any quality
or do you have video dropout issues?
No, I haven't seen any drop out. But the netflix load times felt slower compared to before.
Thats why I felt like I needed to test the speed.
And during the speed test, it starts out with 40-50 and then ramps up to 70-80 range.

TVs only have 100Mbit wired interfaces. It will max at 90. Eighty Mbit is perfectly normal.
Oh I had no idea they were capped. No wonder DSLREPORTS.com warned me that the device might be too slow to test high speeds. Didn't get what I meant at that point.

So it isn't related to the modem or it's config ?

If I connect via 5ghz band will I get a faster speed ?

kanewolf

Titan
No, I haven't seen any drop out. But the netflix load times felt slower compared to before.
Thats why I felt like I needed to test the speed.
And during the speed test, it starts out with 40-50 and then ramps up to 70-80 range.

Oh I had no idea they were capped. No wonder DSLREPORTS.com warned me that the device might be too slow to test high speeds. Didn't get what I meant at that point.

So it isn't related to the modem or it's config ?

If I connect via 5ghz band will I get a faster speed ?
Maybe. But it may be less consistent. Even for 4K video you only need about 30Mbit. Don't worry about it. It is working as designed.

Reactions: JCarax

JCarax

Honorable
Dec 21, 2016
Maybe. But it may be less consistent. Even for 4K video you only need about 30Mbit. Don't worry about it. It is working as designed.

I also changed the dns to 1.0.0.1 from the default dns given by the ISP and netflix works faster.
Didn't run a speedtest but netflix navigation felt faster. Maybe it was a routing issue.
Thanks for the replies.