Samsung Sold Most Phones, Smartphones During Q3

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Now if they can only support their phones for at least 3 years that would be great for the customers. No sense saving $50-$100 on a phone and then its dead from an update point of view after 1.5 years and/or you have to wait 4-8 months after a major OS update to get it.

cornandbeans

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
TBH I don't like Samsung at all, but I bought S3 just because it has the best performance and other phones just can't keep up. I flashed CM10 once I bought it so I don't give a *** about how the stock ROM sucks.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
"Neil Mawston, executive director at Strategy Analytics, stresse ... its dominance will be threatened by the iPhone 5."

Seriously man? You are the boss there and you can not see the writing on the wall? Goes to show that being a CEO, Director etc. does not always mean you actually have a clou.
Apple, like in the 1980s PC wars, is being out-sold, out-developed and out-classed by the competition. They have always been a one horse show and got lucky with the iPhone as the market and the technology was simply ready for a smart phone. But what looked hot, cool and innovative a few years ago now looks like a dated design; kinda like a 10 year old car.
And Samsung has clearly the better toys (not just a single phone) to offer for our drive ways :)

vkg1

Honorable
May 18, 2012
The main difference between Samsung phones and HTC and LG phones is that Samsung phones share the same basic UI as the iPhone.

As this has now emerged as the key to success in an iSheep/low-IQ world, all the other companies beside Samsung will additional take this approach as well, and then bye-bye fruit company and don't let the door hit you on the way out. If only Steve had lived longer to see for himself, the victory would be all the more sweet.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Good for Samsung, constant competition will breed better products. They do make multiple style smart phones with the Galaxy S III being their best seller. Funny thing is that droid fan boys call consumers of Apple iSheep because Apple is so popular. If Samsung is doing well then should their consumers be called SamSheep? Only makes sense....lol.

G

"Funny thing is that droid fan boys call consumers of Apple iSheep because Apple is so popular"

Obviously you do not know why some apple fans are called iSheep. It has nothing to do with the popularity. It is really because some of them do not pause and think about what the value of the product they are buying from Apple, they blindly takes in everything Apple markets. Even if Apple's product is inferior or more expensive, they will still buy without thinking.

[citation][nom]Darkk[/nom]Add me in as happy Samsung Galaxy Note II customer.[/citation]
Me, too; the thing is awesome. :) I can't believe how good the Note 2 is at recognizing what comes out when I try to write in cursive. Considering how straight-up terrible my handwriting is, Samsung has got some deep magic going on in that little slab.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]cyl2002[/nom]"Funny thing is that droid fan boys call consumers of Apple iSheep because Apple is so popular"Obviously you do not know why some apple fans are called iSheep. It has nothing to do with the popularity. It is really because some of them do not pause and think about what the value of the product they are buying from Apple, they blindly takes in everything Apple markets. Even if Apple's product is inferior or more expensive, they will still buy without thinking.[/citation]

But who are you to say someone's marginal utility of an Apple product makes its "inferior or more expensive" when their marginal utility clearly indicates the opposite? That is to say, they value the product and get more value per dollar on the purchase than a Samsung or an Android phone.

For example, you may think its crazy someone spends $50-$100 more for an iPhone over an Android phone. But for someone else they think you're crazy not to spend the extra $50-$100 to get an iPhone.

Products, especially computers, smartphones, etc are MORE than just specs. You do realize this right?
I can have a laptop A that is by far way more powerful and performs better, also cheaper than B and I would never consider A over B. Why? Because maybe I value the size, weight, warranty, Operating System and support. I rather have a nice 14-15" laptop over a powerhouse 17" laptop even though a huge bulky 17" out-specs the smaller ones. My marginal utility for the 17" powerhouse is lower.

Same is true for the iPhone. People put value on updates, Apple has an advantage over Android here, you know the whole idea of giving updates for 3 years and you get the major updates right away when released. Not waiting months upon months for a major update, plus a lot of Android phones do not even give updates.

People put value for easy support and customer help, walk into an Apple store gets your problems solved. People value the better and more plentiful apps, especially on the iPad. The materials used, feel and design is almost better than every single plasticy Android phone out there. The overall ease and fluidity of iOS still one-ups Android, again people value ease of use.

You seem not to understand how consumer choice works. Your marginal utility for a product is not the same as someone else's. You know, that's why there's a range of products out there.

Ford and Chrysler still outsell Mercedes, BMW and Honda. Doesn't mean I'd want to buy a Ford and Chrysler over a Honda. Also doesn't mean I'd want a BMW or Mercedes over a Honda either.

My marginal utility for a particular car will be very different than yours. You may for example choose a Ford or Chrysler because its engine is bigger (more HP, more torque), slightly cheaper, has a few tiny features that a Honda doesn't have.

I may value Honda's reliability, their better construction, better resale value, more efficient use of gas.

Get it? People put value for products outside what the "Specs" say.

blakbird24

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
While I agree with you on many of your points, there are some that are just incorrect.

[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]Products, especially computers, smartphones, etc are MORE than just specs. You do realize this right? I can have a laptop A that is by far way more powerful and performs better, also cheaper than B and I would never consider A over B. Why? Because maybe I value the size, weight, warranty, Operating System and support. I rather have a nice 14-15" laptop over a powerhouse 17" laptop even though a huge bulky 17" out-specs the smaller ones. My marginal utility for the 17" powerhouse is lower.[/citation]

- The point here is not personal preference, the point is that people are paying more for a device that offers less. Personal preference is a factor in any purchase, but in the case of the sale of millions upon millions of smartphones, it’s a nearly inconsequential factor. You and I both know that the vast majority of people aren’t buying iPhones over other choices on personal preference…hell the average iPhone customer doesn’t even know what they are buying. They are buying because they are told that this is what they want.

[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]Same is true for the iPhone. People put value on updates, Apple has an advantage over Android here, you know the whole idea of giving updates for 3 years and you get the major updates right away when released. Not waiting months upon months for a major update, plus a lot of Android phones do not even give updates.[/citation]

- Again, a minor factor, as the average iPhone customer has no idea what an update actually is. I realize that there are lots of smart iPhone users out there who are just as tech-savvy as I am…but the VAST majority have no clue (this goes for Android phone users as well). We are talking MILLIONS of users here…even if there are hundreds of thousands of educated users, that demo still makes up barely 10% of the total.

[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]People put value for easy support and customer help, walk into an Apple store gets your problems solved. People value the better and more plentiful apps, especially on the iPad. The materials used, feel and design is almost better than every single plasticy Android phone out there. [/citation]

- Also a non-factor as the vast majority of people go to the same place when they have a problem with their phone, whether it be Apple, Android, or Windows….they go to the Verizon/Sprint/AT&T store…and receive the same shitty service no matter if their phone has fruit on it or not. “Quality of materials” is also another classic bullshit argument…have you never held an HTC Evo LTE or Droid RAZR in your hand? Both are clearly superior to the iPhone in build quality. Do you not see the absurdity of calling a GLASS PHONE a better choice because of what it’s made of?

[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]I may value Honda's reliability, their better construction, better resale value, more efficient use of gas. [/citation]

I sure hope you are referring to 10 years ago, because today this is a laughable statement.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]People put value on updates, Apple has an advantage over Android here[/citation]
You mean "bugs fix"! Is that what the recent updates that Apple put out for?

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]robochump[/nom]Good for Samsung, constant competition will breed better products. They do make multiple style smart phones with the Galaxy S III being their best seller. Funny thing is that droid fan boys call consumers of Apple iSheep because Apple is so popular. If Samsung is doing well then should their consumers be called SamSheep? Only makes sense....lol.[/citation]

No we call you iSheep because you buy whatever Apple tells you to buy.

I would love to get a Razr Maxx HD, but because the S3 has one of the best cameras out there, and Motorola's cameras still suck, I'll probably buy a S3 soon.

You buy an iPhone 5 because, again, Apple told you to do it.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]vkg1[/nom]The main difference between Samsung phones and HTC and LG phones is that Samsung phones share the same basic UI as the iPhone.As this has now emerged as the key to success in an iSheep/low-IQ world, all the other companies beside Samsung will additional take this approach as well, and then bye-bye fruit company and don't let the door hit you on the way out. If only Steve had lived longer to see for himself, the victory would be all the more sweet.[/citation]

Holy crap, the stupidity here is so strong it created a black hole of ignorance.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]blakbird24[/nom]While I agree with you on many of your points, there are some that are just incorrect.- The point here is not personal preference, the point is that people are paying more for a device that offers less. Personal preference is a factor in any purchase, but in the case of the sale of millions upon millions of smartphones, it’s a nearly inconsequential factor. You and I both know that the vast majority of people aren’t buying iPhones over other choices on personal preference…hell the average iPhone customer doesn’t even know what they are buying. They are buying because they are told that this is what they want.- Again, a minor factor, as the average iPhone customer has no idea what an update actually is. I realize that there are lots of smart iPhone users out there who are just as tech-savvy as I am…but the VAST majority have no clue (this goes for Android phone users as well). We are talking MILLIONS of users here…even if there are hundreds of thousands of educated users, that demo still makes up barely 10% of the total.- Also a non-factor as the vast majority of people go to the same place when they have a problem with their phone, whether it be Apple, Android, or Windows….they go to the Verizon/Sprint/AT&T store…and receive the same shitty service no matter if their phone has fruit on it or not. “Quality of materials” is also another classic bullshit argument…have you never held an HTC Evo LTE or Droid RAZR in your hand? Both are clearly superior to the iPhone in build quality. Do you not see the absurdity of calling a GLASS PHONE a better choice because of what it’s made of?I sure hope you are referring to 10 years ago, because today this is a laughable statement.[/citation]

You make some valid points.

The Apple store still helps any ol' Jack and Jill who have an iPhone from any carrier to addressed problems and issues. I have had family members who had a problem with their phone under contact from a cellphone provider get the help they need from Apple and Apple even give them a replacement working phone for their busted on for a lot cheaper then them having to buy second hand off Ebay or Craigslist. Plus their genius bar helps users solve problems. I know numerous people who have phoned Apple support from the phone (even without support coverage) ask for help get the answers to their questions. These are the average layperson getting help.

As for the Honda versus Chrysler and Ford. Honda's resale value is a lot better and so is their reliability. The American manufacturers have made major improvements on mileage but on the other two its not even close.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom] As for the Honda versus Chrysler and Ford. Honda's resale value is a lot better and so is their reliability. The American manufacturers have made major improvements on mileage but on the other two its not even close.[/citation] While this is undoubtedly true, a lot of older folks would rather have the less reliable less resaleable Ford or Chrysler. Who knows why? ...and they may want. An iPhone over and S3 as well. Different strokes for different folks.

blakbird24

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]As for the Honda versus Chrysler and Ford. Honda's resale value is a lot better and so is their reliability. The American manufacturers have made major improvements on mileage but on the other two its not even close.[/citation]

You may want to do some reading on current quality rankings...Honda has now slipped to the point where both Ford and Chevy are on par, and actually surpassing them in many areas. GM's Cadillac, Buick, and GMC brands surpassed Honda in quality and reliability about 5 years ago and never looked back. So yeah, American brands are doing more than improving...they're taking the lead.

baconeater

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
[citation][nom]cyl2002[/nom]"Funny thing is that droid fan boys call consumers of Apple iSheep because Apple is so popular"Obviously you do not know why some apple fans are called iSheep. It has nothing to do with the popularity. It is really because some of them do not pause and think about what the value of the product they are buying from Apple, they blindly takes in everything Apple markets. Even if Apple's product is inferior or more expensive, they will still buy without thinking.[/citation]

I don't own any apple products, but their app/ecosystem is the best out there. If they buy a product that can take advantage of that then maybe there is value in it? Perhaps the extra expense is for the convenience and availability of their services? The device itself is not everything.

For example, buying a Mercedes is 20% about the look/feel/comfort and 80% about status. A Hyndai can also get you to work, heat works and A/C works. There is other intrinsic value.

baconeater

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
[citation][nom]vkg1[/nom]The main difference between Samsung phones and HTC and LG phones is that Samsung phones share the same basic UI as the iPhone.As this has now emerged as the key to success in an iSheep/low-IQ world, all the other companies beside Samsung will additional take this approach as well, and then bye-bye fruit company and don't let the door hit you on the way out. If only Steve had lived longer to see for himself, the victory would be all the more sweet.[/citation]

They say apple users have the HIGHEST income of any portable device owners. I would rather be stupid and rich. Just saying
(btw the doctors,lawyers, and executives that I know who (who own apple stuff) make 6-7 figures, don't ever come on these boards to complain about why apple is not open sourced, or doesn't let you load custom roms, they don't give a crap)

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]khha4113[/nom]You mean "bugs fix"! Is that what the recent updates that Apple put out for?[/citation]

Nope, he means updates.. This is something you don't easily get with Android. iPhones don't get orphaned the same way Android phones do.

Status
Not open for further replies.