[SOLVED] Samsung ssd 178gb..puny stuff...need replacement..

Mar 18, 2020
I have a , SAMSUNG MZ 7LF 192 HC SSD DRIVE, its my main c: ( came with the desktop PC i bought 4yrs back. Its a puny 178gb...so as you can imagine fills up pretty quickly esp when editing etc ( i do have a backup hardrive ).

SO, could someone please tell me..please...as this question been dragging on...what can i replace this with....looking on amazon, £90 buys me a 1tb Crucial or Samsung SSD...that will do...BUT, what am i looking out for...so that it will work. Inside my Desktop only appears connections for this SSD...so happy to throw this one out ( once i backup windows of course ).. ADVICE PLEASE.

Solution
From your previous 2 threads on this, we never actually determined WHAT type drive this is.

"SAMSUNG MZ 7LF "
...tells us more than what we had before.

"MZ 7LF"
Leads us to:

Possibly a SATA II or III SSD.
If thisis actually the case, any newer, larger, SATA III SSD will work.

2.5" format Crucial MX500 will work.

IF and only if I am actually correct on that drive type.
Did you ever install and run Speccy, like I advised the...
Any 2.5 Inch SATA SSD will replace it.

The Crucial MX500 can usually be had for around 100 USD for the 1TB model. Ive seen the Samsung 860 EVO 1TB on sale for around 100 USD (at least here in the US)

Seeing as the computer is 4 years old I would suggest a reinstall of Windows to clean things up, however if you don't want to do that you can also use cloning software like Macrium Reflect (which is free).

USAFRet

Titan
From your previous 2 threads on this, we never actually determined WHAT type drive this is.

"SAMSUNG MZ 7LF "
...tells us more than what we had before.

"MZ 7LF"
Leads us to:

Possibly a SATA II or III SSD.
If thisis actually the case, any newer, larger, SATA III SSD will work.

2.5" format Crucial MX500 will work.

IF and only if I am actually correct on that drive type.
Did you ever install and run Speccy, like I advised the other day?

Solution
Mar 18, 2020
to add...i was looking at,
Samsung 870 QVO 1 TB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (MZ-77Q1T0)

WOULD THIS DO THE JOB?

My specs
Desktop /intel core i7 6700 cpu @3.40ghz /32gb

Mar 18, 2020
thanks for the speedy replies and sorry for asking the question again but never got to bottom of answer and yet another week passes and still without ssd drive. But THANKS for words of wisdom...so ok...2.5 crucial perhaps - i will look-see. I am keen for a new reinstal of windows....but i have no proof of windows purchase/code...as it came installed on the ssd i plan to discard.

USAFRet

Titan
In order:
Samsung 860 EVO
Crucial MX500
Samsung 860 QVO

For the OS install, NO PROBLEM.
That system is already licensed and activated. Replacing the drive and clean install incurs no licensing issues.

Read through this a couple of times to get familiar with the install process:

Mar 18, 2020
USA - thanks for these options and tips - very very welcome i can get this sorted. The first costs ( here in ripoff britain ) £114 the 2nd, crucial only £50 on amazon..and 3rd a £100. So...and not wanting to drag this thread out any longer...but your top pick is 860 because? ( i mean my processor is only I7 6700 ( and graphics card nothing special..i think i need the geforce 1080x or something..but cant stretch to that. My ram is 32bit. I would be using it for editing video ( my video programme automatically goes to c drive ( annoying and cannot change...i tried..hence fills up quickly the 178gb.

So..for my purpcoses just curious really...the difference in the 2..perhaps i save my pennies and just opt for Crucial then? notice a difference.

Thanks once more for your replies.

Mar 18, 2020
Ok USA last question - honest - what about this one, currently £88 - so £8 more than other crucial but its a 2019 model.

Will this be ok. Happy to go with Samsung for sake of £20 more...but..why put it in amazons pocket i guess...esp. as im a novice really with PC...but when you say 'faster' always tempted.

Crucial BX500 1TB CT1000BX500SSD1-Up to 540 MB/s (Internal SSD, 3D NAND, SATA, 2.5 Inch)

Thanks once more USA for your useful advice, glad i can get at least 1 of these asap.

USAFRet

Titan
Ok USA last question - honest - what about this one, currently £88 - so £8 more than other crucial but its a 2019 model.

Will this be ok. Happy to go with Samsung for sake of £20 more...but..why put it in amazons pocket i guess...esp. as im a novice really with PC...but when you say 'faster' always tempted.

Crucial BX500 1TB CT1000BX500SSD1-Up to 540 MB/s (Internal SSD, 3D NAND, SATA, 2.5 Inch)

Thanks once more USA for your useful advice, glad i can get at least 1 of these asap.
MX500 for £80 is what you want.