[SOLVED] Samsung SSD 850 Pro replacement under Warranty, Is this Normal?

andcha

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
Hi

Is it normal to receive used/refurbished SSD under replacement with following S.M.A.R.T data?

I got my SSD 850 Pro256 GB replaced under warranty due to I/O errors and following S.M.A.R.T data

Health : 99%
Relocated Sector Count : 5
Power-On Hours : 8000
Power-On Count : 1600
Wear Levelling Count : 343
Uncorrectable error count : 5000+
ECC Error Rate : 5000+
POR Recovery Count : 22
Total Host Write : 30 TB

Problem is, that the replacement SSD also seems to be bad, here is its S.M.A.R.T data

Health : 99%
Relocated Sector Count : 1
Power-On Hours : 15000
Power-On Count : 60
Wear Levelling Count : 12
Uncorrectable error count : 30
ECC Error Rate : 30
POR Recovery Count : 55
Total Host Write : 3 TB

Thanks

Last edited:
Yes, they often send out "refurbished" drives as warranty replacements. I don't know how much of the drive is actually refurbished with a SSD, but it seems like with platter drives, they just leave the board in them.

I had to RMA my 850 Evo as well (kept freezing up on disk access) and got one back with only 20 power-on hours. I've gotten back Seagates (ugh, never again) showing all kinds of weird statistics, but running through their Seatools test fine...only to fail a couple months later.

andcha

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
Thanks for your reply, but drive with 15000 hours on SMART was just not acceptable, so I had a word with service centre, they have promised to send another SSD. They also confirmed that this time it'll be a brand new one.

Mar 9, 2019
I got my SSD 850 Pro256 GB replaced under warranty due to I/O errors and following S.M.A.R.T data
I have the same drive and its 2 years old so I'm a little concerned. How did you get the SMART data?
I just ran CrystalDisk on it and its performing very well, too well.
4,854 MB/s / 4,503 MB/s - read/write
How is that possible through a 600 MB/s SATA III interface?