Question Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB randomly disconnecting and at 100% when running Steam, spotify, etc.

xray559

Commendable
Jan 2, 2020
Hello. I'm having an odd issue where my newest Samsung SSD disconnects randomly when I run Steam, Spotify, and maybe other apps. The problem started rather recently in the last 5 days. A few days ago, I was able to stop the drive from disconnecting by restarting my computer and letting a game install its update without running any other programs that were on that drive unless it was a coincidence. Restarting my computer after my drive disconnects doesn't reconnect my drive; the only way to reconnect my drive is by unplugging and plug it back in. I don't know if this could be related, but I have a few files on my Samsung SSD being used as symbolic links on other drives if that could be the issue. Also, I'd like to mention that my Samsung SSD is connected via a SATA USB adapter due to no room inside my pc, and is connected to a 3.0 USB port.

Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 (Pinnacle Ridge, PiR-B2)
3900 MHz (39.00x100.0) @ 3723 MHz (37.25x100.0)
Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS (MS-7B07)
BIOS: 3.E0, 01/22/2019
Chipset: AMD A320 (Promontory)
Memory: 16384 MBytes @ 1466 MHz, 16-17-17-35
- 8192 MB PC23900 DDR4 SDRAM - Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15
- 8192 MB PC23900 DDR4 SDRAM - Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15
Graphics: Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 AMP!/Mini
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB, 6144 MB GDDR5 SDRAM
Drive: ADATA SU655, 117.2 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s
Drive: TOSHIBA HDWD110, 976.8 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s
Drive: Samsung SSD 870 EVO 1TB, 976.8 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s <-> USB
Drive: ADATA SU800, 500.1 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s <-> USB
Drive: SABRENT, Disk drive
Drive: MSFT XVDD, Disk drive
Drive: MSFT XVDD, Disk drive
Sound: NVIDIA GP106 - High Definition Audio Controller
Sound: AMD Zen - HD Audio Controller
OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (x64) Build 18363.1440 (1909/November 2019 Update)

Last edited:
In device manager>USB controllers and Storage controllers? I don't see any warning signs unless I'm looking in the wrong place.
If there were any Yellow warning signs they would stand out.

I have a cybertron 500w atx psu from what it says on the psu.
Your Cybertron PSU is re-branded from another PSU manufacturer. How many watts are listed for the 12 volt rail?

Where is the 12-volt rail?
It is printed right on the side of the power supply.

dual-12V-rails.jpg

It is possible you have too many parts connected to your PC for the power supply to handle. As you said earlier it is also possible the virtual disks you have set up are causing the issue. You will just need to reconfigure your setup through trial and error to see if you can isolate the problem.

xray559

Commendable
Jan 2, 2020
It is possible you have too many parts connected to your PC for the power supply to handle. As you said earlier it is also possible the virtual disks you have set up are causing the issue.
Switching my Samsung SSD from the front 3.0 to a USB 3.0 port at the back of my pc seemed to fix the issue. My adata SSD doesn't run into the same issues on the USB that my Samsung was using. Although, my adata performs better on the 3.0's at the back of my pc so I'm going to get a longer adapter for the back 3.0 ports. I'll disconnect my symbolic links and see if the problem starts again when I test again. Can changing the power plan resolve the issue?

Last edited:
Switching my Samsung SSD from the front 3.0 to a USB 3.0 port at the back of my pc seemed to fix the issue. My adata SSD doesn't run into the same issues on the USB that my Samsung was using. Although, my adata performs better on the 3.0's at the back of my pc so I'm going to get a longer adapter for the back 3.0 ports. I'll disconnect my symbolic links and see if the problem starts again when I test again. Can changing the power plan resolve the issue?
You should use the power plan recommended for your Ryzen CPU.

xray559

Commendable
Jan 2, 2020
Does Samsung Magician recognize the 860 EVO when it is connected to the PC through one of the SATA ports.
I don't have a spare SATA cable to test that with my mobo sata ports, but that could be the problem. I've had a few instances where programs like Disk Defrag, PC Matic, etc., didn't detect my USB-connected SSDs as SSDs. It didn't bother me that much cause they still were able to perform well when connected to 3.0 USB ports. But Samsung Magician has its own benchmark, diagnostic scans, etc, and the program not detecting my Samsung SSD as "supported" prevents me from using those reliable features.

I don't have a spare SATA cable to test that with my mobo sata ports, but that could be the problem. I've had a few instances where programs like Disk Defrag, PC Matic, etc., didn't detect my USB-connected SSDs as SSDs. It didn't bother me that much cause they still were able to perform well when connected to 3.0 USB ports. But Samsung Magician has its own benchmark, diagnostic scans, etc, and the program not detecting my Samsung SSD as "supported" prevents me from using those reliable features.
You should be able to temporarily switch it with the TOSHIBA HDD to see if the drive is still healthy.

xray559

Commendable
Jan 2, 2020
You should be able to temporarily switch it with the TOSHIBA HDD to see if the drive is still healthy.
I don't understand how my front 3.0 USB port only works well with my adata SSD, but not my Samsung SSD. Maybe I have to connect my Samsung to my motherboard to work properly for that specific SSD kind. Also, I tested, and the symbolic links don't seem to be the problem. How could it be my PSU? My Samsung SSD was running fine on my front 3.0 port a week ago.

I don't understand how my front 3.0 USB port only works well with my adata SSD, but not my Samsung SSD. Maybe I have to connect my Samsung to my motherboard to work properly for that specific SSD kind. Also, I tested, and the symbolic links don't seem to be the problem. How could it be my PSU? My Samsung SSD was running fine on my front 3.0 port a week ago.
Are you plugging and unplugging the SSD into the front USB ports often? Perhaps there is some physical damage to the plug or an accumulation of dirt preventing a good connection?

xray559

Commendable
Jan 2, 2020
Are you plugging and unplugging the SSD into the front USB ports often? Perhaps there is some physical damage to the plug or an accumulation of dirt preventing a good connection?
Often ever since this issue occurred, I can say that in the past, I've unplugged and plugged different things into the front 3.0 like a USB drive or disc player, but never repetitively. I noticed dust in the 3.0 port, but I've sprayed the dust out of there with an ultra duster.
While the disconnecting didn't happen all that much as before when my Samsung was connected to my front 3.0, my Samsung connected to my back 3.1 ports, recently disconnected on startup when Spotify started. After unplugging and plugging the SSD back in, the problem stopped again today.