[SOLVED] Samsung SSD 860 EVO

Mar 26, 2020
well, I'm new to this stuff, I had this Samsung SSD 860 EVO 250 GB for a while now, and my hard drive is 900GB/1TB so I can't clone, is the SSD useless in this particular instance?

Solution
well, I'm new to this stuff, I had this Samsung SSD 860 EVO 250 GB for a while now, and my hard drive is 900GB/1TB so I can't clone, is the SSD useless in this particular instance?

What are you trying to do? Of course you can't clone 900 TB worth of data into a 250 GB drive. But it's not totally useless. Generally you would want to use your SSD for OS and application and HDD for general storage.

Depending on your use, and how many applications you have and so forth (casual user vs. a super user with plenty of applications). You could clone and migrate only your OS. That will give you an instant boost. Then install only the applications that you want to be fast on your SSD. Anything you deem isn't necessary to maximize SSD's...

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020

What are you trying to do? Of course you can't clone 900 TB worth of data into a 250 GB drive. But it's not totally useless. Generally you would want to use your SSD for OS and application and HDD for general storage.

Depending on your use, and how many applications you have and so forth (casual user vs. a super user with plenty of applications). You could clone and migrate only your OS. That will give you an instant boost. Then install only the applications that you want to be fast on your SSD. Anything you deem isn't necessary to maximize SSD's speed put it on secondary drive (HDD). File storage, music, documents, photos don't really need to be on the SSD, so store anything as such on your HDD.

Keep in mind you don't want to go over 75% capacity or your SSD's performance will start slowing down. (your case 187.5 GB, assuming your 250 GB drive is actually 250GB of useable space).

You can migrate your OS with programs such as easeus todo backup, aeomis backupper, macrium reflect, etc.

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS