Samsung SSD 960 evo M.2 install grief!

bootalasie

Reputable
Sep 10, 2017
Hello all....

I've hit a brick wall in my first ever build. Any help would be very much appreciated....

Installed all parts and powered up into BIOS fine but was confused by the lack of detection of the SSD NVMe M.2 drive. Researched various forums to what BIOS settings to use (turn off csm, make sure mobo in uefi mode etc). All to no avail.
Next thought was maybe divers needed before the ssd could be seen. Used rufus to copy an image of win10 64bit onto a flash drive and downloaded the samsung driver onto a separate flash drive and booted up. No SSD recognized in the install procedure and a driver asked for. No driver found on the flash drive (defiantly on there tho)

Im basically a newbie on builds this being my first one but im not a complete novice. From the research i've done i understand these M.2 NVMe drives are a little fickle but the MoBo literature reads as ready to virtually plug and play. As in uefi mode is the only mode, set up for multiple GPUs etc. Or are these m.2 drive a pain in general???

Mobo: ASRock H110 Pro (BIOS version 1.10)
http://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/H110%20Pro%20BTC+/index.asp
Processor: Celeron 3930
GPU: Asus 1070 GTX
Ram: 8g ddr4

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Just had this issue. I reseated the NVMe and downloaded the Samsung 960 driver on a thumb drive. Flash BIOS first to latest. When you get to the spotbwhrre it asks to Install Windows, see if it shows rhe NVMe but if not put the usb stick in with the Samsung Driver and click driver

bootalasie

Reputable
Sep 10, 2017

Thanks Mike,

Tried the resetting thing. BIOS is on the only version available. And when when clicking on install driver when asked by windows install, no driver found on the stick (Is there tho. Downloaded off samsung website)

bootalasie

Reputable
Sep 10, 2017

so the samsung evo 960 is PCIe and i need sata? This mobo is fussier than i thought..... Any recommendations?

USAFRet

Titan

No, that's not a newbie mistake. Many, many have fallen into that trap. I almost did.
This current situation with the new m.2/SATA/NVMe drives is VERY confusing.

"m.2" is only the package and connection type, not the protocol.

bootalasie

Reputable
Sep 10, 2017

Very True... Guess new stuff hasn't yet come up with a 'whats best' common standard yet. No mention of PCI or SATA on the box just on spec sheet. Although that kinda makes me feel a little better about the mistake!

bootalasie

Reputable
Sep 10, 2017

Mine to... i think. but the confusion comes in if it needs a PCI or SATA drive protocol. 960 evo is PCI and i need a SATA

Billsgenx1977

Reputable
Mar 10, 2015
I am actually in the process of doing this right now on a AsRock H110 Pro BTC. i just got the Samsung 960 EVO NVMe SSD in the Mail today. it says very specifically in the Manual specifications > Expansion Slot' "*Supports NVMe SSD as a Boot disk"

As i am having the same problem Please help!!

bootalasie

Reputable
Sep 10, 2017

Exactly the same thing i did but unfortunately the Samsung Evo960 drive is the wrong kind of drive for the ASRock H110. This is because it is PCIe controlled and not SATA. The motherboard specs do quote '4 SATA3, 1 M.2 (SATA3)'
I got a refund on the Samsung drive and purchased a Western didgital replacement.
http://www.ebuyer.com/761159-wd-blue-m-2-250gb-internal-ssd-wds250g1b0b?mkwid=s_dc&pcrid=51508054859&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwi97NBRD1ARIsAPXVWWD_zT_iJx-1BO2Ar4HlpRPqmI52z2Gun0PU6kuxcQtPg0iY7-Yau1oaAp9UEALw_wcB
Plugged that in and it BIOS found it straight away, loaded windows on it in 10 mins and all worked fine. There is a lot of confusion over these drives so double check the specs.

Billsgenx1977

Reputable
Mar 10, 2015

I started a support ticket with AsRock last night and i said;
I am learning new things about this Awesome Mining Motherboard. i am trying to learn how to use the M.2 slot on the Motherboard. i ordered and received today a Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 250gb M.2 SSD and tried it in the M.2 slot, it was not recognized. i noticed that in the manual it says that in the specifications > Expansion slots that it supports the NVMe as a boot device. i guess i assumed that the M.2 slot was NVMe compatible. please help me clarify this. can the Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 250gb M.2 SSD be used in the M.2 slot and if so how do i configure it to work completely?, if not how am i able to use the Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 250gb M.2 SSD. what form factor is compatible in the M.2 slot?.

the response that i just received a few minutes ago is;
"Hello,

The M.2 slot on the m/b only support SATA type will not support PCIE NVME type.
This is due to m/b support 13graphic card. You will need to use the Samsung 850Evo M.2 type"

I did some searching on Amazon and it appears a person can theoretically buy a PCIe card that holds the NVMe and use one of the 13 card slots, mining with one less card. but as i am still learning i would appreciate correction.

I am writing with a support tech about this right now.

rgd1101

Don't

yea, it right on the spec
http://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/H110%20Pro%20BTC+/index.asp#Specification
under storage
1 x M.2 Socket, supports M Key type 2230/2242/2260/2280 M.2 SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module

under Slots
- 1 x PCI Express 3.0 x16 Slot (PCIE2: x16 mode)*
- 12 x PCI Express 2.0 x1 Slots
*Supports NVMe SSD as boot disk

Billsgenx1977

Reputable
Mar 10, 2015

you are correct, and it says it on page 6 of the manual.

If you look at the photo here
url]

https://smile.amazon.com/Samsung-960-EVO-Internal-MZ-V6E250BW/dp/B01LYFKX41/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1505259426&sr=1-1&keywords=MZ-V6E250BW

it says that it is a M.2 2280 form factor PCIe interface

Billsgenx1977

Reputable
Mar 10, 2015

when you say "Plug the drive into the M.2 slot on the mobo. No need for any adapters." you are not being specific enough as to what M.2 because of the earlier statement in you message; "For ASRock H110 motherboard use a M.2 SSD SATA and NOT a M.2 SSD PCIE. "
the M.2 SSD PCIe is being stated as compatible with this motherboard

I got another response from the AsRock Support tech that says;

"If you would like to take the advantage speed for NVME M.2 you need to have adapter card and insert it on PCIE 16X, otherwise you have to go with m.2 SSD."

rgd1101

Don't

"the M.2 SSD PCIe is being stated as compatible with this motherboard"
where/who said that?

and the asrock support is correct, as it said on the spec you can get a adapter card for m.2 pcie nvme ssd

Billsgenx1977

Reputable
Mar 10, 2015

based upon the conversation you and i had earlier.

Billsgenx1977

Reputable
Mar 10, 2015
Here is what the AsRock Support tech just sent me;

The 960 EVO drive is NVME which is PCIE type, but onboard M.2 slot is not supported PCIE type and only support SATA type M.2 drive.
Please be advise, all NVME M.2 drives are PCIE type.
However, if you like to use 960 EVO drive on this mainboard that you need M.2 PCIE adapter (please see below image for sample) and that adapter can be installed on PCIE 16x slot.
If like to use onboard M.2 slot, please use SATA Type M.2 drive (i.e. Crucial-CT240M500SSD4-240GB)
The mainboard’s specification states about this, please see below screenshot.
Hope you understand this explanation .

M.2 PCIE adapter card

Thank you

ASRock America Support Team

Billsgenx1977

Reputable
Mar 10, 2015

i am not saying anymore that it is compatible in the M.2 slot. as the problem has been corrected;

"The 960 EVO drive is NVME which is PCIE type, but onboard M.2 slot is not supported PCIE type and only support SATA type M.2 drive.
Please be advise, all NVME M.2 drives are PCIE type.
However, if you like to use 960 EVO drive on this mainboard that you need M.2 PCIE adapter (please see below image for sample) and that adapter can be installed on PCIE 16x slot.
If like to use onboard M.2 slot, please use SATA Type M.2 drive (i.e. Crucial-CT240M500SSD4-240GB)
The mainboard’s specification states about this, please see below screenshot.
Hope you understand this explanation .

M.2 PCIE adapter card

Thank you

ASRock America Support Team"

TRENDING THREADS