Samsung SSD 960 significant difference in performance

theking2

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
Hi!
Recently I've build two computers one is a
GA Z170x Gaming 7 (+Sapphire Radeon Vega 56) based pc the other a
ASUS Maximus iX APEX (+MSI GTX980x graphics) based

Both are equipped with the same amount of RAM (16G) boot with UEFI and Windows 10 Insider.
I monthly measure SSD speed to get an idea of how performance develops over a longer time. I test with AS SSD.
On the ASUS I get overall scores in the lower 5000 on the Gigabyte overall scores in the upper 3000.

The devices were bought at roughly the same time at the same shop.
What could cause the difference?
Additional note: AS SSD on the ASUS board is reported with secnvme, on the Gigabyte as stornvme. I did a bit of google search but am unable to find what these differences are.

Solution
i blieve you got those 5,000 readings from CrystalDiskMarkinfo or some similar tool. this only benchmarks the drive itself with just the AHCI controller/connector constraints. as for the 3,000 reading on gigabyte, it should also read as 5,000. most likely you may have missed a driver update/install or not in the right firmware. just double-check on your gigabyte readings.

When you installed the OS did you make sure it was using NVME? You might be running it in ide or ahci. It's set in the bios. I believe you can change it after the fact in your os and then your bios. I would recommend backing up your os because if you have issues booting you can just restore. Google how to check if TRIM is enabled as well.

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
i blieve you got those 5,000 readings from CrystalDiskMarkinfo or some similar tool. this only benchmarks the drive itself with just the AHCI controller/connector constraints. as for the 3,000 reading on gigabyte, it should also read as 5,000. most likely you may have missed a driver update/install or not in the right firmware. just double-check on your gigabyte readings.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS