[SOLVED] Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus intermittently disappears from BIOS, PC now rarely completes bootup and when it does, it soon crashes / restarts

Aug 28, 2021
Hi all,

Bought a Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus about a year ago, utilizing it as a boot drive with Windows 10.

Around a month or so in, PC starts failing during bootup, constantly rebooting and trying to repair etc. I come to notice that the SSD has disappeared from BIOS. I consider potentially getting a replacement SSD but after a week or so of failed attempts, but suddenly my PC is working again and booting up into Windows (even if, oddly, the bios startup screen no longer appears).

From this point forward I experience no further issues with PC bootup and PC appears to be working perfectly.

Fast forward to about a month ago (of course right after the warranty on the SSD has expired) and suddenly, while working in Windows, my PC crashes. I reset only to find that once again I'm dealing with the exact same issue I was facing almost a year ago - 4 times out of 5, BIOS is no longer detecting my SSD and either cycles through the boot up sequence, or attempts (and fails) to diagnose the PC issue. When the BIOS does detect the SSD, it either fails to boot into Windows, or once every 10 or so attempts actually succeeds in booting into Windows.

During these successful bootups, within the space of 30 seconds to 5 minutes, the PC will crash again only to reboot and no longer detect the SSD.

Is it safe to say the SSD is faulty, or is there a chance the issue is with the motherboard, or any other component?

Really appreciate any help!

PC Specs>
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8 Core Socket AM4 3.6GHz CPU Processor
MOBO: ASUS TUF X570-PLUS GAMING AMD Motherboard
RAM: Kingston HyperX FURY (HX432C16FB3K2/32) (Black) 32GB Kit (16GBx2) DDR4 3200 Desktop RAM
PSU: Thermaltake Smart BX1 750W (PS-SPD-0750NNSABA-1) 80 Plus Bronze Non Modular Power Supply Unit
GPU: GALAX GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER EX Gamer Black Edition 8GB Video Card

Last edited:
Solution
Have you run Magician on the drive to test its okay?
Are you using the Samsung NVME drivers? not that those will stop bios losing drive

if its a physical fault of the NVME, I don't think Magician will be able to tell.
you may need to contact Samsung as I am not sure how you prove it just stops working.

Do you have latest BIOS on motherboard?
Hi all,

Bought a Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus about a year ago, utilizing it as a boot drive with Windows 10.

Around a month or so in, PC starts failing during bootup, constantly rebooting and trying to repair etc. I come to notice that the SSD has disappeared from BIOS. I consider potentially getting a replacement SSD but after a week or so of failed attempts, but suddenly my PC is working again and booting up into Windows (even if, oddly, the bios startup screen no longer appears).

From this point forward I experience no further issues with PC bootup and PC appears to be working perfectly.

Fast forward to about a month ago (of course right after the warranty on the SSD has expired) and suddenly, while working in Windows, my PC crashes. I reset only to find that once again I'm dealing with the exact same issue I was facing almost a year ago - 4 times out of 5, BIOS is no longer detecting my SSD and either cycles through the boot up sequence, or attempts (and fails) to diagnose the PC issue. When the BIOS does detect the SSD, it either fails to boot into Windows, or once every 10 or so attempts succeeds in booting into Windows.

During these successful bootups, within the space of 30 seconds to 5 minutes, the PC will crash again only to reboot and no longer detect the SSD.

Is it safe to say the SSD is faulty, or is there a chance the issue is with the motherboard, or any other component?

PC Specs>
MB: ASUS TUF X570-PLUS GAMING AMD Motherboard
RAM: Kingston HyperX FURY (HX432C16FB3K2/32) (Black) 32GB Kit (16GBx2) DDR4 3200 Desktop RAM
PSU: Thermaltake Smart BX1 750W (PS-SPD-0750NNSABA-1) 80 Plus Bronze Non Modular Power Supply Unit
You should test it with another nvme drive to confirm if it's the mobo faulty.

Reactions: Temeteron

Colif

Win 11 Master
Are you using the Samsung NVME drivers? not that those will stop bios losing drive

if its a physical fault of the NVME, I don't think Magician will be able to tell.
you may need to contact Samsung as I am not sure how you prove it just stops working.

Solution
Hi all,

Fast forward to about a month ago (of course right after the warranty on the SSD has expired) and suddenly, while working in Windows, my PC crashes. I reset only to find that once again I'm dealing with the exact same issue I was facing almost a year ago - 4 times out of 5, BIOS is no longer detecting my SSD and either cycles through the boot up sequence, or attempts (and fails) to diagnose the PC issue. When the BIOS does detect the SSD, it either fails to boot into Windows, or once every 10 or so attempts actually succeeds in booting into Windows.

PC Specs>
MOBO: ASUS TUF X570-PLUS GAMING AMD Motherboard
Reseat the ssd a couple of times in it's slot....test.

Aug 28, 2021

Thanks for the advice - I wasn't even aware of the Magician tool until now! My only concern is whether my system will be stable enough long enough for me to actually install and run the tool, but I'll see if I can manage to do so.

Did recently try installing the latest BIOS but unfortunately it had no impact.

Might also try contacting Samsung and seeing if they can help in the meantime.

Thanks again.