Samsung SSD - Can't Secure Erase with Samsung Magician or bootable USB/DVD

CmdrRiker

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
Hi all,

I've been trying perform a secure wipe on my Samsung 840 EVO using the Samsung Magician utility. However, the drive is in a "Frozen State" and cannot be erased.

I tried following the on-screen instructions and removing the SATA power cable for a few seconds, plugging it back in, and then re-running Secure Erase but I get the same error of the drive being ina Frozen State.

I then tried creating a bootable USB and a bootable DVD, per the instructions. But when I boot from that the GUI menu it boots into is completely unreadable. I've tried different monitors with the same result.

Has anyone else run into these same issues? I know there's a few threads on here about similar issues which I've read through. But no one seemed to have the same problem with the GUI of the bootable USB/DVD.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
I've run into this before, I boot the GUI, it was still in the frozen state. You unplug the SATA power for a few seconds and then plug it back in. This should unfreeze it and you can erase it.

Your issue is that for some reason you graphics adapter doesn't seem to be supported in the bootable GUI.

Are you using a graphics card? If so, do you have the option or running onboard graphics?

I've run into this before, I boot the GUI, it was still in the frozen state. You unplug the SATA power for a few seconds and then plug it back in. This should unfreeze it and you can erase it.

Your issue is that for some reason you graphics adapter doesn't seem to be supported in the bootable GUI.

Are you using a graphics card? If so, do you have the option or running onboard graphics?

Solution

CmdrRiker

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014

Thanks techgeek. As it turns out, once I updated to the latest version of Samsung magician and created a bootable USB from that, the GUI looked to be replaced by a DOS menu. From there I was able to Secure Erase the drive after unplugging and replugging the SATA power cable per the on-screen instructions.

Just wanted to update this thread in case anyone ran into the same issues!