[SOLVED] Samsung SSD MZ-7LN256HCHP - 000H1 cloning?

Apr 21, 2020
Hi ive got this SSD from ebay and would like to clone my HDD to it, ive done the same with my laptop and a crucial SSD but with the Samsung i've hit a few snags
Ive tried these softwares and none will work:

Samsung Magician (though its detected it displays not supported with no options)
Samsung Data Migration (not detected at all with the following in the help files)
(* This software only supports the Samsung SSDs listed in the User Manual. OEM storage devices provided through a computer manufacturer or supplied through other channels are not supported.)
(* This software only runs if the operating system is installed on the Source Disk. It does not function on disks that lack an operating system installation.)

I dont have the OS on this SSD yet, i was hoping to clone everything i have on my HDD to the SSD using a usb adapter the same way i updated my laptop
Is there any third party software that you can recommend to do this or will i have to install windows to the SSD then transfer or do a clone then and copy over it maybe?

Solution
If you ever get it up and actually connected:

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD...

USAFRet

Titan
What motherboard is this on?

You can't install an OS on it and then clone to it. Well, you can, but that clone simply overwrites whatever you put on it originally, so there's no point.

What sie is this drive? 256GB?
How much total space is consumed on your current HDD?

Apr 21, 2020
What motherboard is this on?

You can't install an OS on it and then clone to it. Well, you can, but that clone simply overwrites whatever you put on it originally, so there's no point.
Yeah i thought it'd overwrite it i was just guessing a way to get the drive recognised first maybe as right now i cant do anything with the software ive tried.
The drive does show up in windows and i can add to it its just these softwares ive tried dont allow transfer and the data management one is samsungs recommended for this device but only works if OS is installed on it

What sie is this drive? 256GB?
How much total space is consumed on your current HDD?
Windows 10
The SSD is 256gb
Existing HDD has 120gb stored altogether to be transfered
Its to go in a Lenovo Thinkcentre MT29 System Model- 29291Q7 -
Im going to replace the systems CD drive hopefully

im trying to find the motherboard serial specifically but struggling, i have the manual somewhere but might take me a while to find

USAFRet

Titan
The Samsung Data Migration only works with non-OEM drives.
This, being an OEM...does not work.
There are other tools that might work.

In the CD/DVD port? That is a SATA connection. How are you actually connecting this?
Can you copy a single file to this drive?

Apr 21, 2020
The Samsung Data Migration only works with non-OEM drives.
This, being an OEM...does not work.
There are other tools that might work.

In the CD/DVD port? That is a SATA connection. How are you actually connecting this?
Can you copy a single file to this drive?
ah gutted well fingers crossed i can find something,
yeah this is a sata III drive i was just going to buy a cd/ ssd bay off amazon and plug it in thatd be ok wont it?

USAFRet

Titan
If you ever get it up and actually connected:

Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Solution
Apr 21, 2020
Unsure.
And even if it does, that CD/DVD port may only be SATA II. Limiting the speed of that drive.
Yeah I hope it's not I've had the manual once and made a bit of a plan so I'm hoping it said sata III

If it is SATA II will it still be faster than a standard hdd?

I'm gonna have a go at getting windows on it and macrium I,all let you know how it goes
Thanks for your help fellas!

Apr 21, 2020
Yeah good idea I'll go for that, I've got macrium now and attempted a clone but says couldn't complete pretty instantly even though the drives empty but I think who sold it to me might've just deleted the files and not done a format so I've got that running now.
Looks like it's gonna take a while so must best something on there now, maybe the unfinished clone of my hdd but if it is its insanely fast even through usb connector- just playing the waiting game now

Apr 21, 2020
hmm did a full format and then cloned the orig hdd and same message came up that couldnt transfer everything as theres not enough space but im pretty sure the first 2 partitions are all i need and i can still go ahead.
Why would it not copy the last 2 partitions? theres definitely enough space...

heres a photo of the partitions and drives on Macrium:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/photos/share/xUFBxc7kmFCgV0Ov3jtU7DNOiFpllili9m7ZUhtyRfo

Apr 21, 2020
(ive just tried to do this, i dragged down the first two partions but wont let me do the other two?)

Ah! i get it now! yeah i dragged down all the small partitions first and put the largest in last (1342) and it somehow fits now and let me do the clone, its a curious thing though is there a reason for it?

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020
Ah! i get it now! yeah i dragged down all the small partitions first and put the largest in last (1342) and it somehow fits now and let me do the clone, its a curious thing though is there a reason for it?

Apr 21, 2020
Well I got it cloned, one partition marked as active but it wont boot up when I've switched it for the hdd in the same socket. Can you of any common reasons? I've put the hdd back and put the ssd on the usb adapter again to check things and cant see any different between the two?

Apr 21, 2020
system files missing or something similar didnt get as far as windows just straight onto a blue screen.
ive just beeing reading up and im sure its because i have to mix up the order of the partitions to get them to go on the new ssd.
The windows folder was 2nd but now its the fourth. Ive just read something similar with someone else and theyre told to use the BCD to change the partition the boot files point to...
I shouldve just copied the 2 partions over that mattered but i wanted to be safe and do it as it was just in case

bcd editor was recommended but you have to pay for it so im stumped

Apr 21, 2020
I think you're right mate I've just started re cloning it with just the 2 partitions to and leaving it overnight copying so I can try in the morning and give it one last go.
I'm sure the extra partitions where just recovery partitions I wont need them will I, especially if I have a usb recovery stick made

Apr 21, 2020
Well its up and running the 2 partitions worked as soon as i started up in the morning, i start up up speed was good but not amazing so i followed some tutorials and the only step ive not done is change from Legacy to uefi, would this be worthwhile or safe to do?
im ok with the speed now and everything works so pretty happy

USAFRet

Titan
Well its up and running the 2 partitions worked as soon as i started up in the morning, i start up up speed was good but not amazing so i followed some tutorials and the only step ive not done is change from Legacy to uefi, would this be worthwhile or safe to do?
im ok with the speed now and everything works so pretty happy
If it is running at expected speed, I'd leave it as is.