[SOLVED] Samsung SSD on HP prebuilt.

Jan 16, 2021
Hello I have a HP prebuilt and I am looking to find a SSD to put windows on and replace the slow HDD. I am wondering if the Samsung Evo 970 would work on my pc. Is that drive a bootable drive, like can I do a clean install of Windows and put Windows on the SSD. If you are wondering what system I have it is the HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01-0170m CTO (Custom to Order). Can I get a response please so I can go ahead with the upgrade. The motherboard is the HP Erica 8643.

Solution
I heard that HP and Crucial are compatible I bought RAM from crucial and I still use them. I knew they were compatible because you can check on crucial’s website. The M.2 SSDS that are compatible with my system is the Crucial P5 and P2 and some 2.5 SSDS what do you think I should get. I want a NVMe drives which are the p5 and the p2 are. I know that NVMe drives are faster.
This is why you have to verify what that specific M.2 port can use.
If the Crucial site says it can use a P2 or P5, then it is NVMe capable. Probably.

A 2.5" SSD would go in place of the existing HDD.
Jan 16, 2021
This 'parts locator' depicts a WD Blue NVMe drive in the M.2 port.
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06504786

So, a 970 would presumably work.
But, you NEED to verify this from HP.
The only maids of my pc doesn’t look like that. My M.2 slot is above the GPU. And the M.2 slot doesn’t have 2 notches it only has 1. I can find a a picture of what the inside of it look like. But in the link you sent my motherboard is different.

USAFRet

Titan
The only maids of my pc doesn’t look like that. My M.2 slot is above the GPU. And the M.2 slot doesn’t have 2 notches it only has 1. I can find a a picture of what the inside of it look like. But in the link you sent my motherboard is different.
And this is why verification from HP is necessary.
Multiple configurations may have the same model designation.

Jan 16, 2021
This 'parts locator' depicts a WD Blue NVMe drive in the
I heard that HP and Crucial are compatible I bought RAM from crucial and I still use them. I knew they were compatible because you can check on crucial’s website. The M.2 SSDS that are compatible with my system is the Crucial P5 and P2 and some 2.5 SSDS what do you think I should get. I want a NVMe drives which are the p5 and the p2 are. I know that NVMe drives are faster.

Last edited by a moderator:

USAFRet

Titan
This is why you have to verify what that specific M.2 port can use.
If the Crucial site says it can use a P2 or P5, then it is NVMe capable. Probably.

A 2.5" SSD would go in place of the existing HDD.

Solution