[SOLVED] Samsung SSD showing up in bios but not in partitions

Apr 16, 2021
Recently I bought a new Samsung 870 EVO 500gb ssd SATA 2.5' and when I installed it correctly and booted up my computer it did not show up in the Disk Management.

After that I checked my task manager and it says that there is an SSD but when i click on it the text in the top right corner is my old HDD's name

Whenever I intialize another disk from the Disk Partition tool it just goes away on restart

Solution
Is it your intent to migrate your windows C drive to the ssd?
If so, run the Samsung ssd migration app; it will find the ssd and move your C drive to it.

You may want to check if there are bios upgrades for your motherboard, or if there are motherboard chipset drivers that are newer.
870 EVO should look to the motherboard just like any other sata drive.
if your motherboard is a few years old and has nve ports you may have plugged the ssd into a sata port that is turned off by default if there a nve drive or nve is turned on in the bios. also check your mb some of them have two sata controllers you may be on one that is turned off in bios or not set right. on the ssd itself make sure the data and power cables are fine and there no bent pins on the sata port on the drive. if your mb is real old the mb chipset may not be able to handle an ssd.

Reactions: Tovoo
Apr 16, 2021
if your motherboard is a few years old and has nve ports you may have plugged the ssd into a sata port that is turned off by default if there a nve drive or nve is turned on in the bios. also check your mb some of them have two sata controllers you may be on one that is turned off in bios or not set right. on the ssd itself make sure the data and power cables are fine and there no bent pins on the sata port on the drive. if your mb is real old the mb chipset may not be able to handle an ssd.
i have a lenovo mahobay, would that work

Apr 16, 2021
also my samsung magician recognizes it

USAFRet

Titan
Recently I bought a new Samsung 870 EVO 500gb ssd SATA 2.5' and when I installed it correctly and booted up my computer it did not show up in the Disk Management.

After that I checked my task manager and it says that there is an SSD but when i click on it the text in the top right corner is my old HDD's name

Whenever I intialize another disk from the Disk Partition tool it just goes away on restart
What other drives are in this system?

Is it your intent to migrate your windows C drive to the ssd?
If so, run the Samsung ssd migration app; it will find the ssd and move your C drive to it.

You may want to check if there are bios upgrades for your motherboard, or if there are motherboard chipset drivers that are newer.
870 EVO should look to the motherboard just like any other sata drive.

Solution
Apr 22, 2021
Then you can "select partition [number]" and "delete partition". After that, you can "create partition primary". Then, you can "exit" diskpart and type "diskmgmt". It should now show up as a disk with RAW formatting.

Official Website

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS