[SOLVED] Samsung SSD Write Endurance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
The endurance rating is only for how long they will cover the drive, not an indication of when it will stop working. Many of us still have the original 830 still going and it's nearly 10yrs old.

In any event, you should always assume the drive is about to fail and take all the data on it to the big scrapheap in the sky - and should have everything backed up, at least the important should be at minimum.

popatim

Titan
The endurance rating is only for how long they will cover the drive, not an indication of when it will stop working. Many of us still have the original 830 still going and it's nearly 10yrs old.

In any event, you should always assume the drive is about to fail and take all the data on it to the big scrapheap in the sky - and should have everything backed up, at least the important should be at minimum.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
All of the above comment is 100% accurate.

Use it until it actually dies.
Be proactive with your data for when that actually happens.

I always operate on the thought that any specific drive will die in the next 0.25 sec. No matter what software is telling me it is bad or good.

wm3797

Reputable
Apr 7, 2020
All of the above comment is 100% accurate.

Use it until it actually dies.
Be proactive with your data for when that actually happens.

I always operate on the thought that any specific drive will die in the next 0.25 sec. No matter what software is telling me it is bad or good.
I see. But 101 TB writes as of now, how much of a degree of wearing is that on the ssd.

USAFRet

Titan
I see. But 101 TB writes as of now, how much of a degree of wearing is that on the ssd.
101TBW is pretty high for a drive that is not that old.
The 750 EVO was only released in Feb 2016.

But, there is no reliable way to tell when your drive will actually die.
Yours might die next week, another one with similar usage might last another 5 years.

What does Samsung Magician show for the TBW?

wm3797

Reputable
Apr 7, 2020
101TBW is pretty high for a drive that is not that old.
The 750 EVO was only released in Feb 2016.

But, there is no reliable way to tell when your drive will actually die.
Yours might die next week, another one with similar usage might last another 5 years.

What does Samsung Magician show for the TBW?
In samsung magician, it says 99.4 TB written

Status
Not open for further replies.