Samsung Starts Production of PCIe SSDs for Ultrabooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

tofooey

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
"Why is nobody building an affordable PCIe-based SSD for desktops yet?"

Probably because there is more money in OEM products that niche consumer products. They're coming, just not first.

MrTwisted6

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013
Interestingly enough is that some ASUS motherboards have the connection for this already...so maybe sooner than we think?

Patrick Tobin

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013
I think I'd rather have an adapter or the connection directly on the board. Some already have it. Who cares if the parts are made for a notebook? We use 2.5" SSD's :p

busuan

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
"Why is nobody building an affordable PCIe-based SSD for desktops yet?"
The PC form factors need a revolution badly, yet nobody dares to challenge the establishment. Motherboard, RAM sticks, plug-in cards, hard drives and a case... It's high time to throw these old concepts into trash.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
PCIe based SSD? It's because the added performance will not be felt by the user. This is product of Samsung works well for devices though so that makers are not limited by the form factor of the standard SSD.

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
The way I read this article is that SATA Express is a short term hack to support the obsolete SATA form factors. SATA will be relegated to supporting optical drives. The form factor pictured at the top of this article is the future for permanent storage.

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
Oh, I should comment... and this is fascinating... I recently purchased a 32 GB SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0 memory stick. When I inserted it into a USB 3.0 port on my desktop PC, it showed up in Windows 7 as a SSD... not removable storage. SanDisk had put a SSD controller on the memory stick!

In my opinion, all permanent storage is going to start by-passing these various and unnecessary layers of I/O controllers.

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
Don't you hate comment boards where you can't edit your comments?
Anyway, also... looking at the M4 SSD form factor, it doesn't take a genius to notice it looks just like a memory SIMM. I guess we can guess where this is headed.

Primary (volatile) and Secondary (non-volatile) memory is going to merge into the same form factor using the same interface. PCIe interfaces to SSD are just a temporary step.

Maybe SATA Express will hsng around to support eSATA.

eSATAe?

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
Don't you hate comment boards where you can't edit your comments?
Anyway, also... looking at the M4 SSD form factor, it doesn't take a genius to notice it looks just like a memory SIMM. I guess we can guess where this is headed.

Primary (volatile) and Secondary (non-volatile) memory is going to merge into the same form factor using the same interface. PCIe interfaces to SSD are just a temporary step.

Maybe SATA Express will hsng around to support eSATA.

eSATAe?

Status
Not open for further replies.